What has priced itself out of YOUR budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't know the TGV Stations sold anything for as little as 20 pounds...

Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg: 30 euros for a cup of tea!!!!!!!!!!

Still, it was only once in 60 years.

Gwylan

Veteran
Some of us remember interest rates at 15% with the related chaos.
The banks and building societies were ruthless in my experience.
The challenge of running a business and running a highly leveraged life still hurts. There was poverty in all areas of life.

A social life required home brew and home made wine. Those were not the days.....

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Some of us remember interest rates at 15% with the related chaos

Remember it well. Which is why I could only afford to buy a small flat, which 30 years later I still live in.
Mortgage is now paid, and so is the loan to pay off the shortfall in the endowment policy :rolleyes:, but of course we had it easy, according to some.
Now that I have the income of a pension into which I paid 11% of my wage, I find that the energy companies want such a large slice of it that I need to keep working. Life's a bitch, and then you die; as the saying goes!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Pubs. I can 'afford' them, but being a tight wad (careful with one's pennies), I don't like paying £4 for a pint of way overtaxed mostly water, when My 4 quid could be better spent.

£4 for a pint? You were lucky, lad!
I rarely go to pubs these days for a number of reasons, but on Wednesday night I made an exception on the occasion of Rangers playing in the Europa league final.
I was in a company of 6, and when it was my round I went to the bar and paid over £20 for the privilege. Not bad you say? But when I got back to our table it turns out I had forgotten my mate's son, who was drinking some kind of IPA.. So I went back to the bar for a pint of said IPA, confidently holding a fiver in my hand...... "£5.90 please" says the barman :ohmy:. The night cost £60, which included a very ordinary steak pie with chips.
So yes, pubs join the list of luxury items for special occasions only, when they used to be a daily occurrence back in my late teens and early 20's.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The challenge of running a business and running a highly leveraged life still hurts. There was poverty in all areas of life.

A social life required home brew and home made wine. Those were not the days.....

Yes, I remember it well, particularly the home brew. ;)

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Well I'm finding cheese is getting serious. I have cut back on camembert along with crackers but filling up the wagon is now £160.
All journeys in it are now essential only so on a plus note the 25k miles done last year will hopefully come down a bit.

Probably showing my (lack of) age here, but a genuine question nonetheless; when was this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom