What have I let myself in for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I decided to become a British Cycling Ride leader this year. I did the pre requisite courses, and off I went. I requested to lead quite a few rides, thinking I would get a couple, and that would be lovely. Thus far, I've been allocated all but one of my requests:eek:. That's about 7, on top of the 2 I've already completed.:smile: It's a nice 'problem' to have. I'm going to be a busy bee for the next few months:laugh:. Happy days:okay:.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Sounds fantastic, great that you are putting back into the sport and helping others discover the joys of cycling. Have fun !

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Cautionary note...

Make sure you ride for yourself. This comes from an ex canoe club chairman, lead coach, ww river leader, who hasn't been in a boat for 3 years and not been a club member for 2 years.

Coaching updates...

They'll all let you keep giving until you realise you're not having fun anymore!

This is why I'm not a cycling club member.

On the plus side.... Good for you, keep it fun. Don't listen to a miserable old git!

Hope you get on OK. I did the same, but, had a major disagreement, after a couple of rides, over the dreaded 'helmet' question and we parted company. I liked the idea of doing it, and did enjoy it, but..........

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Hope you get on OK. I did the same, but, had a major disagreement, after a couple of rides, over the dreaded 'helmet' question and we parted company. I liked the idea of doing it, and did enjoy it, but..........
That's no problem now. Ride leaders and under 18's must wear them. But I make a point of explaining that you need not wear one if you don't want to. I've increased my uptake on rides by 30 or 40 percent, as a result.

Racing roadkill: that is the problem! 'Ride leaders must wear them'!,,, WHY ?????? There is no legal requirement, it's just perpetuating the crappy myth of their efficacy!
I wanted to help others, having organised my own rides in the past, so did the leaders course, which I enjoyed, but, then, after leading a couple of rides, as I said, we had to agree to differ, so a complete waste of time on both our parts!

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Racing roadkill: that is the problem! 'Ride leaders must wear them'!,,, WHY ?????? There is no legal requirement, it's just perpetuating the crappy myth of their efficacy!
I wanted to help others, having organised my own rides in the past, so did the leaders course, which I enjoyed, but, then, after leading a couple of rides, as I said, we had to agree to differ, so a complete waste of time on both our parts!
Them's the rules. I've been on the receiving end of some nasty 'offs'. If they insist I wear a lid, fine. As long as everyone is aware of the rules, and I get paid, I don't mind enforcing the rules.

Top Bottom