What have you bought for the tent today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
An adapter to inflate a mat with a pump would be very attractive to me.
This has taxed me too. Having switched to an inflatable (Alpkit Numo), from a 'self-inflating' mat, to save both weight and volume, I was delighted with its performance. However, it really does take some puff at the end of a long day! Wouldn't it be great if I could use the bike pump?
Your post prompted me to go looking once more and I came across this adapter; there seems to be plenty of similar offerings from which to choose. Schrader fit, so that might make a difference, as indeed would the valve fitting on your bed. But my hopes started to rise ... right up until @Vantage 's follow up:
Bike pumps and sleep mats. Nope. They don't put out anywhere near enough air.
Makes sense of course :cry:

Why the change? Well, my shoulders really. They're knackered.
Hey, thanks for the really long and detailed reply. As a self confessed shorta*se you have the advantage of being able to use the extra height of the mat without hitting the side/end of the tent.

The previous mat, a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite
That's really interesting (and has given me an idea). I was seriously considering a Klymit mat as I read they were designed specifically for side sleepers, but I couldn't find one in the flesh to text.

Unfortunately it has nowhere near enough muscle to inflate a bike tyre.
And there goes my retirement in luxury and being the toast of bike tourists everywhere!^_^
but who in their right mind lugs a track pump in their panniers?
Ah, carry whatever you need to set off and enjoy yourself! I once read of a chap bringing along his own toilet seat (along with many other "unusual" items. There have been times when I wished I had his foresight! :laugh:

i share your suspicion of ultralight stuff hobbes.
I'd like to clarify...
I have nothing against ultralight gear and I'm very conscious of the fact that many members here use that gear in ways and places I never could.

It's just not for me and my particular style of touring. A rustly mat is good for a while, but sleeping on it night after night for months at a time? Not for me - I like my sleep😊

Similarly, my mat will get used in places that mats don't normally go. It's got to be good for the next night too!

There's the psychological aspect too - my current mat was well tested before I set off. I don't want to waste time worrying if a new and improved one is going to work tonight.

And there's always the cat thing - there aren't too many things worse than your carefully researched (and expensive) tent becoming a plaything for cats! ^_^

Lastly, I'm a tight ******* :laugh:

Half a pint? Of Guinness? Don't be stupid! :biggrin:
What kind of girly wuss of a man drinks a half pint of Guinness? Any man caught doing that should be hung, drawn and quartered then set on fire so people can piss on him to put it out.
Well, when it comes to setting things on fire........:laugh:

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
mm - careful with the titanium thing vantage - it's my understanding that it's a poor conductor for cooking - I'm no scientist but that may be kinda related to its fast cooling. That design is very common in more humble materials - i got one for a fiver from Trespass.

You're right Mr Blue Hills. The heat from a stove doesn't spread very evenly across the base of a titanium pot. I discovered that whilst out with dad. My beans, despite being regularly stirred became superglued to said pot. Having said that, they didn't stick so much that scraping them off required a hammer drill. I can live with that ^_^

I'd like to clarify...
I have nothing against ultralight gear and I'm very conscious of the fact that many members here use that gear in ways and places I never could.

It's just not for me and my particular style of touring. A rustly mat is good for a while, but sleeping on it night after night for months at a time? Not for me - I like my sleep😊

Similarly, my mat will get used in places that mats don't normally go. It's got to be good for the next night too!

There's the psychological aspect too - my current mat was well tested before I set off. I don't want to waste time worrying if a new and improved one is going to work tonight.

And there's always the cat thing - there aren't too many things worse than your carefully researched (and expensive) tent becoming a plaything for cats! ^_^

Lastly, I'm a tight ******* :laugh:
Mm - nothing really to clarify, barely a lightweight fag paper between our views/positions hobbes.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Weight weeny here.
I didn't used to be. I'd laugh at those plonkers who'd spend hundreds to shave a half gram from their already lightweight camp gear. However, that feckin stroke happened.
It's not just pedalling the bike up hills that gets easier the lighter it is, it's carrying the stuff too. Less strain on racks and bags etc but also when one needs to lift the heavy barsteward across stiles, pushing it up hills, mounting it onto the cars bike rack etc.
My Wayfarer was upwards of 80lbs when I toured and that's not a nice weight to push up a wet grassy hill. Loading the bike onto the car prior to setting off was causing enough pain in my shoulders that I near dropped it. Pam had to do it for me.
I suspect that why most weight weenies do it. It just makes moving it around that little bit easier. It does come at the cost of expense and comfort though.

Karrimor folding mat - £8 in Sports Direct. Similar looking to something from thermarest (Zlite?) - not sure if the thermarest is functionally better. Am hopeful that by combining this with one of my lightish self-inflating mats I may be able to do some short winter microadventures - am a great believer in "layering" and not having duplicate kit for different seasons/applications, It's a bit wider than I would like so may look a bit ungainly on the rack but it fits inside an XL lightish Karrimor drybag I got a few days earlier.
Re the layering, the label proudly proclaims that it's 5 season and good for temperatures of up to 80 centigrade and down to minus 20 centigrade. Sod the mat, if I survive the top one I'm putting myself down as a medical miracle and you folk can bow down before me.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Many years ago I got an army surplus stainless steel pan/wok type pan from a military fair for a quid. It has never let me down and been dropped, fallen off the bike and bounced down the road but has remained useable. Best pound I ever spent.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Rite, update on the Trekology Aluft UL80 and Aluft 2.0 pillow. Tested 'em both last night under the stars (technically under a tent but you know what I mean).
Temperatures last night in Bolton according to the met office dipped as low as 4 degrees. My bag has a comfort rating of 10 degrees and an extreme of 0 degrees. The mat has an independent R value of between 1.6 and 2.2.
I was cold. I even dug out my emergency foil blanket to put between the bag and mat which helped me warm up enough to sleep. This mat is definitely not for cold weather.
It was comfy though. I had to blow in a bit more air via my lungs so my body wasn't touching the ground but even then it was still nice and soft.
At 190cm, its a bit longer than most mats and only just fitted into my tent. Some reviewers have said they thought it narrow but that's not my feeling. None of my limbs were left dangling over the edge for the monster under the bed to chew on. Speaking of edges, the raised ones on this mat apparently keep you from falling off it. I'm not sure how realistic an expectation that is, but the tent was on a slight slope in my garden and I remained on the mat.
Other reviewers have also stated that the mat can rustle like crisp packets and be noisy. I can tell you now that my ears are sensitive enough to make little sounds almost painful to hear and I didn't think this mat to be unusually noisy compared to other mats out there.
It's supplied with its own storage bag and a patch incase the dog/cat/partner tries eating it. The mat rolls up to about the size of a beer can and has an elasticated strap to keep it all in place. The bags size is on the generous side and allows me to also store the pillow inside it.
Speaking of which...
For its size, the pillow is very comfy. I had it pumped up fairly hard so my head wouldn't sink too low but its shape supports my head, neck and to some extent, my shoulders. There were no crunchy type noises from it either. It has a strap which allows it to be fixed to the mat so it doesn't slide all over the place and this further helped by little rubber dimples on the under side. This means the pillow can be placed under the sleeping bag rather than on top which helps keep it clean...no greasy/oily/mucky/bug infested head laying on it. It does come with its own little bag for storage but I find it easier to just shove it in with the mat.
So there ya go.

I said I'd do a review on my new Decathlon tent a while back and whilst I have indeed camped in it a few times, these have all been in calm, dry weather. Any tent can cope with that. Only good ones survive a storm battering so soon as I can, I'll shove it into a storm setting see what happens and then I'll review it. However, I've had to again chop the poles as the amount of strength needed to bend them into their fixings was ridiculous. I've even managed to slightly curve the things from doing that.
And I've changed the guy line attachments. Decathlons method seemed overly complicated and prone to failure to me so I've done away with them and I'm now just using simple knots.
From this

To this

I'm also thinking of replacing the pegs, but more of that when I review it.

Last edited:
Many years ago I got an army surplus stainless steel pan/wok type pan from a military fair for a quid. It has never let me down and been dropped, fallen off the bike and bounced down the road but has remained useable. Best pound I ever spent.
Picture?
I rather like stainless steel - simple stuff - very easy to clean - I don't mind a bit of extra weight.
You do have to be careful with military stuff though - some of it, particularly Brit stuff I think, can be DAMN heavy.

Top Bottom