What have you bought for the tent today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Looking forward to giving it all a go now and see if it lives up to the positive reviews I've read online.

I'd love to hear how you rate it.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I know @HobbesOnTour, it is a perilous decision, however, I've decided I'm allowed one luxury item though, or at least that's the excuse!

So I decided to give the Aeropress a quick go for my morning coffee. As I'd seen recommend online, I used it upside down. Popping freshly ground coffee in followed by water, with it upside down, it can then spend a few minutes brewing.

IMG_20220521_115451367.jpg

When it's spent a few minutes brewing, I gently tipped it over the right way and on to the top of a mug, before gently plunging down and forcing fresh coffee through the filter.

IMG_20220521_115746108.jpg

So first impressions are really positive, it's a simple thing, but brews some nice coffee and should be a good addition to my kit. As well as tours it's so light and small that I can carry on longer day rides and brew a fresh coffee at break times if I want.

Ironically, I've gone in the opposite direction - lighter!

IMG_20220521_173108.jpg

A simple, reusable/washable filter picked up on my travels.
It replaces* a "pop up" cone that uses a normal paper filter.

I can strain the water straight through, or allow it to "soak" for a while if coffee is running low.

* When I say "replace" I mean I still have the original. No morning coffee would be a disaster^_^ and I'm a belts and braces kinda guy.

Sallar55

Veteran
Maintenance time, a service kit for the multi fuel stove
New jet, o rings and pre heat pad fitted, used unleaded petrol when we were away. Primus or Coalmans fuel is better less jet blockages, but unleaded petrol is easy to find. One problem France is awash with card operated fuel pumps with a minimum card charge. Most times drivers will fill the bottle for you and some won't accept the 2€ cost.
DSC_2381.JPG

DSC_2159.JPG

DSC_2161.JPG

Last edited:
My new home......
Decathlon "ultra light" offering (Forclaz MT 900 2 person).
Haven't had this "style" of tent before - inner pitches first so there's a bit of a learning curve.

First impressions:
A very thin floor (groundsheet currently sold out). I've improvised.
Zips look cheap (but run fine).
I miss luminous tags on the zips but I'll adapt.
Doors in the fly (2) are a bit small and keeping the door open is a chore. I'll need to improve that for rain.
Compact for two people but uses space well.
Very light (for me ^_^) at 1.8kg.

We'll see how it goes. Decathlon are everywhere if there are problems and it's possible to buy entire polesets, inners and fly as time goes on.

First night after setting up in the dark was fine - including my new Decathlon sleeping pad. Very, very comfortable. Thermarest - never again.

IMG_20220815_081725.jpg

IMG_20220815_081703.jpg

Of groundsheets, for the last thirty years, I've been using a ex Bundeswehr cape as a footprint for various tents and it's more than paid for itself in said role. :okay:

I tried out tyvek under a pyramid tent and found it surprisingly good and strong. I may do the same for this one at some stage. At the moment a cheapy tarp is doing the job.

Top Bottom