What have you bought for the tent today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Vantage
Is that a footprint specific for that tent you've modified or something else?

One of my pet hates about specific footprints is the finickyness of them for us people who set up in a new location every day:whistle:.
It is remarkable how few YouTube vids actually show it.

Really interested in how your wildcamp will go. I'm intrigued at how those "dark" tents do in the cold.

Happy Camping!

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Howdy Mr Hobbes. The footprint was a standard square generic type when I bought it. I did actually buy it with the intention of modifying it to specifically fit that tent. The 'wings' came from a coleman tarpy thing that was never used. Decathlons footprints are a 'one size fits all' type.
One thing I noticed about the footprint I bought for the zephyros was indeed how finicky it was. I felt the bungees were too stretchy and as it used the same pegs as the tent, getting those pegs in the exact position to pitch the tent without repegging them all again was mission impossible. It took me twice as long to pitch mine as it took my dad to pitch his.
Not a problem I've had with my new footprint. It goes down and the tent lines up almost perfect with the pegs. Slightly longer bungees and it'll fit perfeck.

2 things I note about this tent. The black inner and the silver backing on the fly.
'kim' over on the YACF forum has one of these tents and said she noticed it had a tendency to keep it's ambient temperature inside steadier than other tents. I've camped in it a few times in the garden so far but I've yet to endure harsh weather so far so can't really comment on that but I do wonder if the silver lining might help to keep heat from escaping. It may also keep the tent from turning into an oven on sunny days too. I think the only thing the black does is keep the bulk of daylight out.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
One of my pet hates about specific footprints is the finickyness of them for us people who set up in a new location every day:whistle:.

My specific footprint remains attached to the tent, rolling up with the tent as I take it down, and pitching all in one operation with the rest of the tent. It attaches to rings sewn on the outer via toggles on elastic.
The only time it's ever finicky is when I've done something stupid like spill soup on top, and try to clean up without completely striking the tent.

My specific footprint remains attached to the tent, rolling up with the tent as I take it down, and pitching all in one operation with the rest of the tent. It attaches to rings sewn on the outer via toggles on elastic.
The only time it's ever finicky is when I've done something stupid like spill soup on top, and try to clean up without completely striking the tent.
As does mine. In fact that's why I upgraded from a generic tarp as a footprint. Getting everything lined up was a PITA.
Previously I used tyvek as a footprint for a pyramid tent. Surprisingly tough & robust, very light but not the smallest packsize. There are people on Ebay selling tyvek footprints for popular designs of tent.

However, I still think that having to pitch a footprint separate to the tent is something that gets old fast.

And what is it about the members of this forum spilling hot beverages in their tents?^_^

Have always used a £5 tarp from wickes/b&q, maybe i'll look into this dedicated footprint thing, particularly as i have settled on a favoured tent for cycle camping escapades. Then just pray that the manufacturers don't change the dimensions of what is a great tent.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Didn't think to have the footprint attached to the tent...thats a bloody good idea really. I'm thinking carabiner clips so it's easy to remove...hmm.:thumbsup:
I've used those £5 tarps in the past @Blue Hills and still use a big one for the family tents, they're bulky and heavy though.
The one I've butchered rolls up to about the size of a beer can.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Well here it is. So manly and butch it looks like a NASA space rocket.

I've had to undersized it at the doors because decathlons designers made the door bottoms arch up to aid airflow. Rain could get under those arches, land on the footprint and build up to a mighty swamp under the tent which could swallow the universe!

I just need to lengthen the corner elastics as I can't stretch the tent to its full size atm. Besides that, I'm quite proud of myself ^_^
A most impressive feat of seamsperson-ship! Well done indeed. I see a whole new career opening up ... 😉

Didn't think to have the footprint attached to the tent...thats a bloody good idea really. I'm thinking carabiner clips so it's easy to remove...hmm.:thumbsup:

If you're looking for clips for something like that I can recommend these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-He...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

maybe available cheaper from the east - i paid less but things have gone up.

That is a good supplier though.

I use them for clipping guy lines to tarps, clips for camp washing lines etc.

Preferable I think to many cheapo metal ones sold even by the likes of DD Hammocks - cheap, have moving bits prone to failure, potentially scratchy so can damage stuff.

Slightly longer bungees and it'll fit perfeck.

ah on this

maybe you know about them, but I find the ball bungee useful for all sorts of cobbled together heath robinson lashings

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverli...178942?hash=item41fe2c203e:g:ossAAOSwKF5coce6

you can even loop/daisychain them together - useful for aforementioned washing lines - attaching to tent, overhanging trees, immobilising of bicycles, doubtless various nefarious uses.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
My old Voyager is getting a bit long in the tooth now, the fly sheet has seen better days and the pack size is a little to big for my new stripped down touring style.

So today a shiny new Alpkit Soloist landed on my doormat. Pictured below next to the empty stuff sack and a 1litre bottle for size comparison. That's the full tent, pegs and poles included. It weighs in at a paltry 1.2 kilos.

It's dark now so I won't get chance to put it up yet, but hopefully at the end of the week.

First impressions are good though and for €140 I'm really happy.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Depends really what you mean by standard. They are made from 7001-T6 alloy, so fairly standard pole material. Shape wise they are a slightly unusual shape: (Photo from the Alpkit Website.)

It's all one piece and I imagine that the centre spine may be a pig to field repair. However, I spent twenty years as an outdoor pursuits instructor and hundreds of nights nights under canvas in lightweight tents and yet to experience a failure. So hoping that the minimal use in comparison, that this tent will get, will be fine.

The inner then just clips onto the pole when it's up and the fly drapes over the top and clips into the corners.

One of the main selling points as well, was Alpkits after sales service. They are really good at patching up kit and if it's wear and tear, then their prices are really reasonable.

I suppose by standard I meant diameter, one of the pretty common ones like 8.5 or 9mm.
But that was assuming you could swap pole sections.
You are clearly way more experienced than me but must admit I would feel uncomfortable if you can't even slot a new bit into that central pole.
I am also wary of those "hub" type things you get on some tents.
I did once abandon a cycle camping trip because of a bust pole but wouldn't have to these days - very easy to fix.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I must admit I did have a little ponder over the pole shape it wasn't my ideal shape, I prefer no nonsense straight poles. However, pack size and weight were big factors for me and the next tents on my list that would offer the right size (Big Agnes and MSR tents) were nearly 400 euros. At 140 Euros I figured it was worth a go, especially given I could easily pick up spares from Alpkit if need be.

If I need to field repair the centre section, I just need to undo the elastic at one of the hubs, then slide over the supplied pole sleeve. I little more of a faff than a straight pole, but I don't really envisage it breaking! One common issue with these poles is the corrosion of the pole feet splitting the ends of the pole section. However, if they're dried out properly after a trip, then that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll have to do a long term review though after this year and see how I get on. I'm only expecting to get 20 nights out at most this year, so not too heavy usage. I think if I had a big word wide trip planned, I'd save for a Hileberg or similar, but with my project usage this should be fine.

Well wear @chriswoody
(What do we say for a tent?^_^)

I had a little poke around online. It seems to have different set up options - fly only, inner only which adds to the versatility.

I've instinctively avoided inner pitch first tents because rain (in hindsight that's never really been an issue) and a belief that I'll royally feck up trying to get the fly in place in windy conditions^_^

Enjoy your adventures!

Top Bottom