What have you bought for the tent today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
One common issue with these poles is the corrosion of the pole feet splitting the ends of the pole section. However, if they're dried out properly after a trip, then that shouldn't be a problem.
Hiileberg warn that a common cause of the poles splitting at the joints is letting the elastic snap the pole sections together, and that you should put the sections together by hand.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Hiileberg warn that a common cause of the poles splitting at the joints is letting the elastic snap the pole sections together, and that you should put the sections together by hand.
As someone guilty of allowing pole sectiins to snap together, and who has suffered exactly that failure (although not on a Hilleberg), that's a really useful tip to know. I shall be more careful in future and hope I haven't unduly damaged the poles already. 👍

As someone guilty of allowing pole sectiins to snap together, and who has suffered exactly that failure (although not on a Hilleberg), that's a really useful tip to know. I shall be more careful in future and hope I haven't unduly damaged the poles already. 👍
Which brings us back to......
AIRTENTS!^_^

I've read that before as well as sea air can cause corrosion and weakness. On aluminium poles?

Based on my US experience in the US where a fine gravel is often the pitching surface, I'd say that that is also a factor in weakening the joints.

Exped specifically advise that the whole pole section should be broken down from the centre - apparently this reduces pressure at the joints. Seems counterintuitive to me.

Nothing against Hilleberg (I can dream!^_^) I can't help but feel a little cynical. Taking poles apart is ok, but putting them together without the individual poles "snapping" together is a tricky task. I don't think there's many can say it has never happened?

Working on the assumption that the poles are threaded for strength, yet the elastic nature can expose a weak point, I've often wondered why there isn't a "twist and lock" design instead of the elasticated threading.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
@HobbesOnTour the multi pitching options were certainly one of the draws to this tent, though to be fair I'm not sure how much I'll take advantage of them.

As you say, a lot of online reviews do mention the inner first pitch as a minus point, however I've owned many such tents including my current Voyager and never had an issue with it, so I chose to ignore that as a negative!

The trick with placing the fly in high winds is to stand with the wind at your back and get the wind to "blow" the fly onto the tent.

I'm intrigued overall how I'll get on with it, only time will tell. I'm getting quite excited now for some adventures I have planned for next year, though my daughters trip will be with my old Voyager.

You've reminded me, I used to work at a centre that was sponsored by Terra Nova and the rep was always drilling that into us. To be honest it's become so second nature to do that now that I'd completely forgot, thanks for bringing it up! He also used to tell us to pull the poles apart at the middle and then work back to the ends when dismantling them.

@HobbesOnTour the multi pitching options were certainly one of the draws to this tent, though to be fair I'm not sure how much I'll take advantage of them.
My Exped has similar "functionality" and a previous Hexpeak (tipi) did too.
I've tried both out. The Exped is finicky in the extreme. The Hexpeak was better, especially fly only, as the user has the choice to regulate how close to the ground to set the fly.
I'm not sure that Europe has the ideal climate for inner only, but I do have dreams of wildly remote locations and shooting stars!^_^

The trick with placing the fly in high winds is to stand with the wind at your back and get the wind to "blow" the fly onto the tent.
Thanks!
I figured something like that. Knowing me as I do, I'd have visions of a fly...flying!^_^
I'm intrigued overall how I'll get on with it, only time will tell. I'm getting quite excited now for some adventures I have planned for next year, though my daughters trip will be with my old Voyager.

Wait until she's borrowing your Alpkit for herself!

He also used to tell us to pull the poles apart at the middle and then work back to the ends when dismantling them.
Same as Exped, then

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Working on the assumption that the poles are threaded for strength, yet the elastic nature can expose a weak point, I've often wondered why there isn't a "twist and lock" design instead of the elasticated threading.
That's a good point. Wonder if it's the convenience of all the poles being kept in the right order, rather than being separated and therefore taking longer to assemble? Surely a simple numbering/lettering system could quickly get round that though? And exactly how much longer would it really take compared with elasticated systems? But then why do all(?) manufacturers do seem to favour elastics? :wacko:

That's a good point. Wonder if it's the convenience of all the poles being kept in the right order, rather than being separated and therefore taking longer to assemble? Surely a simple numbering/lettering system could quickly get round that though? And exactly how much longer would it really take compared with elasticated systems? But then why do all(?) manufacturers do seem to favour elastics? :wacko:
Order is easily fixed as you say with labelling or colour coding. It even could mean standardisation of poles across tent designs as well as easily offering different lengths (shorter pole segments for cyclists, as an example.
It could be that any "lock" design might leave sticky out bits which could damage a fly - probably more of an issue with inner first designs?
In any case, a lot of tents are available in different standards, utilising different materials - but poles are normally the same.
I'd certainly be willing to choose this option unless someone can point out a flaw.

Or.....
Remove the shock cord (that's the word!^_^) and add a valve so we can pump the connected pole with air to a high enough pressure for security!^_^

simongt

Guru
Up to recently when I bought a Vango Halo 300 which is a wee bit larger, for the last twenty four years I've used an ex Bundeswher cape as my footprint. Cheap and had never failed me - ! :okay:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well I finally had chance to put it up in the garden. It's an interesting tent and really nicely made. As well as the tent itself I also purchased the optional footprint for an additional €14. The footprint has metal eyelets at the corners so you can erect the tent like a tarp.

Because it's freestanding you can also erect the inner only:

There's a lot of mesh on the top and the door increasing ventilation but reducing its warmth, so really just a summer tent.

Then with the fly on top:

It's quite tall making sitting up a possibility, but it is a little tight in there.

The ends of the fly sheet clip onto the ends of the poles and have little adjusters for the tension. It's all from Aluminium and looks pretty solid:

So overall it looks a well built tent and for €140 you really can't go far wrong. I also had a little chuckle at the obligatory warning label, someone obviously has a sense of humour at Alpkit.

Roll on summer now, looking forward to sleeping out in it.

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
Have always used a £5 tarp from wickes/b&q, maybe i'll look into this dedicated footprint thing, particularly as i have settled on a favoured tent for cycle camping escapades. Then just pray that the manufacturers don't change the dimensions of what is a great tent.
I have an MSR Hubba Hubba NX and got the footprint, but now use a much tougher plastic 2mx1m tarp which is not full width but length good and very light

I have an MSR Hubba Hubba NX and got the footprint, but now use a much tougher plastic 2mx1m tarp which is not full width but length good and very light
The thing is that with tents such as Chris' that have a variety of set up options, the model specific groundsheet is probably best for utilising the options.
That's why I eventually lumped for an Exped one.
I have to say that that 14 quid for a branded footprint is excellent value!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Exped specifically advise that the whole pole section should be broken down from the centre - apparently this reduces pressure at the joints. Seems counterintuitive to me.
Since the pole elastic doesn't slide past a doubled over joint much, if you take the pole apart starting at one end, the elasitic end up quite slack at the starting end, and very tight at the finishing end.
I expect it's mostly to do with preserving the elastic, though I suppose that it could be possible that there is enough force applied round the pole end to do something, with long term storage.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Coffee has always been an important part of my trips and even with my predilection for ultralight touring, I need a good brew in the morning. Up till now, I'd used a Java drip filter, but I could never get a consistently strong brew from it. So I've finally decided to invest in an Aeropress Go. They get a lot of good reviews, and work in a similar way to a French press. The kit comes with the press itself, a mug, a stirrer, a spoon and 350 filter papers.

IMG_20220520_202159350.jpg

Ditching the mug, spoon, stirrer and lid, you are left with quite a compact kit that fits relatively neatly into my Alpkit titanium mug. There's still space inside the middle of the whole assembly for the coffee grounds.

IMG_20220520_202335532.jpg

Looking forward to giving it all a go now and see if it lives up to the positive reviews I've read online.

Top Bottom