What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wondering what to do with your old frying pans (probably not)
Planters.jpg

Not real fettling I know, but some old spokes used to hold them all together, so a bit of up-cycling at least.

dimrub

Bought the sprockets today and replaced them. There's a bit of play there. I believe the old small sprocket was dished, whereas the new one isn't. The guy who sold me the sprockets was not a mechanic, he asked someone on the phone what to give me - perhaps that other person would have realized I need a different sprocket, or a spacer. I'll be on the phone with the store tomorrow.

The Brompton folks got back to me - asked to bring the bike in, and they'll solve this for me. Very kind of them. So that waits till Monday, when I'm next in the city.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Major tandem fettle pre Big Tour:

Clean and wash
Eccentric greased
New timing chainrings and chain. Went from 42 to 39 on advice of tandem shop so chain would be tight at minimum on the eccentric giving more room for wear.
Drive chainrings and chain
Cassette
Tyres front and rear
Swapped saddle for my favourite.
Mrs T's saddle greased.
Batteries for speedo
Brake pads front and rear.
Pedals removed and regreased.

Took all day!

Test ride tomorrow.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Replaced tube in rear tyre of my Orbea Gain after thorn caused slow puncture. Punctured tube repaired to be used as spare. Used opportunity to remove 3/4 stretched chain and replace with new after deep clean of the rest of the drive chain. Replaced heavy rear wheel, then washed winter filth from rest of bike. Took bike for test run - all running sweetly.

Fredo76

Über Member
Made my own b-screw to replace the original on a Tiagra RD 4400-GS. My frame hanger step is too far around for the stock b-screw to catch. Went down to the hardware store and got a longer M4 screw, with a wider head, and two nuts. I snugged one nut up against the screw head, put the screw in the wrong way, and snugged it to the derailleur tab with another nut, where the original b-screw head would be.

Like so:

b_screw.JPG

Now the top roller pulley stays out of the cogs, a definite plus. Unusable for me without the mod...

I replaced the rear gear cable for my TT bike. Its internally routed cable snagged where I thought it would but it was quite a smooth change. Until I went to index the disc wheel.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/BndQlCjKguA?si=uf907ciRvtSIOsOl

I think since it was last ridden (Sep 23 I think) one of the spokes unridden since then has decided to snap. I have never changed a disc wheel spoke before so I think it will be a lbs job!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Viner Mitus suffered yesterday from a slipping chain; I'd put a new chain on before the ride as it was at 0.75 and it seemed to be OK. It was ... in three gears. In anything else it slipped and I kept banging my knee on the bars. That's fine for a short ride, but it was a 200km audax.

So ... it was cleaned and new Pirelli Cinturato Road tyres fitted, new Halt Gooey green brake pads to match the green/black paintwork and a replacement Ultegra cassette. All done and hopefully OK this time. I've been running the Cinturato Velo tyres over the winter and have been impressed - they do cut up quite a bit but nothing's gone through. Hopefully these new ones will be OK until next winter as I won't do too many miles on the Viner beyond April unless it's wet.

The fake Guerciotti / Raleigh Team was pulled out of storage and I've started the parts swap to original: Stronglight drillium crankset off, Campag Nuevo Record crankset on. Then the Campag Avanti front & Rear derailleurs came off, Campag Nuevo Record derailleurs on. Finally, the Shimano 105 downtube shifters were swapped with a Campag Record set. That'll do for now; gear cables and chain still to do as I'm moving from 50 to 52 outer chainring.

I've still to source a Campag Nuevo Record headset and a pair of the Raleigh Team/Professional forks but I'm getting closer to original. Once there it'll have a re-spray. I'll also need to source a more original seatpost and saddle at some point.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Replaced the brake blocks on my Brommy; those blocks that are secured in the shoe with a wee hex bolt. Used a large screwdriver and a Warrington hammer to remove the old blocks, then slid the new ones in with the occasional persuasion of said screwdriver. Adjusted the clearance using two old Norwich Union club cards to get just the right spacing, job done - ! :okay:

Gunk

Guru
Replaced the brake blocks on my Brommy; those blocks that are secured in the shoe with a wee hex bolt. Used a large screwdriver and a Warrington hammer to remove the old blocks, then slid the new ones in with the occasional persuasion of said screwdriver. Adjusted the clearance using two old Norwich Union club cards to get just the right spacing, job done - ! :okay:

I use these on my Brompton, really cheap and work very well.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-brake-pads-100/_/R-p-328?mc=3256958

simongt

Guru
I use these on my Brompton, really cheap and work very well.
Indeed. They were recommended by my LBC. :okay: Well worth it, although I was a bit wary, as the last time I had to replace just the blocks was about sixty years ago using Fibrax blocks. Not a happy experience at the time - ! :dry:

Top Bottom