What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is keeping time with my quartz watch at the moment .

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's June, so I decided to build up my winter commuter. :rolleyes:

My old Claud Butler Hybrid is now a drop bar bike, with bar end shifters. I've just done a test ride and yes its heavy, but the bar ends are surprisingly easy to use, and it's pretty comfortable :smile:

Picture to follow when the rain stops outside :rain:

Here it is:-

20180616_181929.jpg

20180616_181947.jpg

Steering is a bit twitchy with the short stem, and the bars could do with being a bit lower, but not bad.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That's a lovely looking bike, may I show my ignorance and ask what it is
Thank you. Originally it was a 2009 Claud Butler Classic: -
claud-butler-classic-2009-hybrid-bike-00128215-9999-1.jpg

The classic was a pretty basic hybrid. It's been through a few iterations over the years, and has collected cast offs from other bikes, but at its heart is the bike I did my first cycle tour on :smile:

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Cut the steerer on my newest bike down by 20mm. Now sitting with a comfortable 10mm spacer below and a 10mm spacer above the stem. Might cut it down further at some point, but want to be absolutely certain about the fit first. I honestly think it’s spot on now, but being massively cautious.

The stool that my Wife and Son got me for Fathers Day was awesome whilst doing the above. Simple thing that always left me with aching knees and back before. Now bliss.

the stupid one

Über Member
I had a go at indexing the gears on the mongrel, which have been a bit chattery lately. It seemed to go very smoothly - suspiciously smoothly - on the workstand, so I'll be interested to get it out on the road again.

However, while I was close-up to the rear wheel I started cleaning the nooks and crannies, then decided to remove it from the bike and give it a good clean-up. Afterwards I couldn't get it to sit centrally and move through the gears, and eventually realised I'd loosened some of the nuts etc. on the threaded axle. Good opportunity to degrease and clean those before tightening up, I thought, until a ball bearing dropped out.

Rear wheel now at the LBS getting properly serviced.

:blush:

Top Bottom