What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
As mentioned in this thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dawes-super-galaxy-2012.286619/ I have been giving my new bike a once over.

I have replaced the rear tube as it had a nasty thorn puncture that was so old it was almost fossilised.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Fixing a BOA dial. Feels like I'm in scouts again, learning knots.

IMG_20220722_092257_4.jpg

IMG_20220722_100506_9.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Recently had to change my tires (well, only one really, but I'd rather they matched).

Anyway, this has got me through 2 tyre levers now, bent spoons, destroyed my fingers but try as I might I just cannot get this last bit over the rim. They're GatorSkins, which I know have a bit of a rep for being tight, but I've never had any issues before.

Anyone got any advice? I've tried everything I can think of...

IMG_20220722_121911941.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Recently had to change my tires (well, only one really, but I'd rather they matched).

Anyway, this has got me through 2 tyre levers now, bent spoons, destroyed my fingers but try as I might I just cannot get this last bit over the rim. They're GatorSkins, which I know have a bit of a rep for being tight, but I've never had any issues before.

View attachment 653842

Talc. Apply to inside of tyre and the tube.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet

View attachment 653842
Tyre Glider

You won't believe how easy it is.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

View attachment 653842

Make sure to push the remaining tyre bead into the rim well all the way round.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve bought a tyre glider, yet to use it in earnest! My tactic is usually to start with plastic levers, break one, and then resort to the trusty metal ones. A LBS once suggested I use KY jelly - I filed that in the same pile as the banana down the back of the shorts to prevent saddle sores, but you never know!

Top Bottom