What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
So, way back in September I was looking at bikes for the girls, and not finding much in my budget. The bike for 14-year-old Drama Queen was fine - a Rockrider 340 from Decathlon would've done the trick. But one for 11-year-old Mad Scientist was proving troublesome. Everything of similar price to the Rockrider was made of pig iron, and aluminum bikes like the Cuda Mayhem she's already got were pushing the top end of the budget.

One day I was mooching on eBay, and I saw a chap selling Mongoose Rockadiles ex-display for £110. I also saw he was selling Mongoose Switchback Comps in XS and S sizes for £130, so I snapped them up. It meant a trip to Chatham, but it was worth it. The chap, working out of a lockup, was very helpful and let me choose from the several of each bike he had. They're 2012 models, it seems, and there's the odd scuff here and there if you look closely, but for the money they're spot-on. The Rockadile has a 21-speed Tourney groupset with Revoshift changers, and the Switchback an 8-speed Altus rear derailleur and a 3-speed Tourney up front, with EZ-fire changers. Once bought, I stored them in my sister's garage until fetching them this afternoon.

As we mostly do cycle tracks as a family, and are thinking about a micro-tour in the summer, I fitted rear pannier racks and SKS Velo mudguards with the optional stays. I thought the removable Velos would allow us to maybe do some mud-plugging if I can find myself a second-hand MTB at some point. I also bought some cheap, but approved, battery lights from Amazon and a couple of water bottle cages from Wilkos.

Fitting went well, apart from the whirlpool of oblivion tools and fixings enter whenever I do a bit of DIY. The Switchback's frame and forks have fittings for disk brakes, and the stays for the front mudguards weren't long enough to be bent to allow them to be bolted to the fork. A rummage in Dad's toolbox resulted in two shirt lengths of metal with holes of the right size. Result!

I think they'll be happy...

31712433171_dfb3e6cf91_n.jpg
31712430781_7478d985c3_n.jpg
31790929016_a6f66d4604_n.jpg

Attachments

• 31712433171_dfb3e6cf91_n.jpg
    31712433171_dfb3e6cf91_n.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 31712430781_7478d985c3_n.jpg
    31712430781_7478d985c3_n.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 31790929016_a6f66d4604_n.jpg
    31790929016_a6f66d4604_n.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 30

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The handlebars on my self-built singlespeed bike are a bit scrawny compared to the oversized chunky bars on my two Cannondale bikes (road and cyclocross). I had some old bar tape so I used that to double-wrap the bars. They are much more comfortable now.

I have just bought a very heavy u-lock to secure the singlespeed bike on local shopping trips. A frame clamp came with the lock. I fitted it to the bike, but I am not happy with it. The lock rattles and it is so heavy that I think the clamp will fail sooner rather than later. (Lots of online reviewers say the same thing.) I also don't like the appearance of the clamp on the top tube. I am going to remove it and will use an old inner tube to carry the lock messenger bag-stylee. I will have to be careful not to fall off onto the damn thing or I will probably end up with broken ribs!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Fettling coming up. I need to put a new front wheel on my commuter bike, since a motorist here very generously bent the old one out of shape for me. I'm just hoping the fork isn't bent also. It was a low-speed impact, so I'm guessing it's not bent.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Fettling coming up. I need to put a new front wheel on my commuter bike, since a motorist here very generously bent the old one out of shape for me. I'm just hoping the fork isn't bent also. It was a low-speed impact, so I'm guessing it's not bent.
New wheels are on, and I also removed and re-greased both pedal axles. All it needs now is a test ride, which will definitely tell me whether the fork got slightly bent. There's no visible damage, so hopefully the forks are OK. I won't do the test ride now, though, as it's 31 degrees here and only 12pm, heading for a top of 37.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just cleaned a glue patch off the top tube of my road bike. Some time ago, I'd removed one of those unnecessary stickers you get when you buy the bike, but hadn't removed the glue patch. I shopped around for tea tree oil, since I was told that removed such patches quite well, but didn't find any. I had some peppermint oil, though, which also works very well. Now my bike (and the whole spare (aka "bicycle") room) smells of peppermint.

I also just took the commuter bike for a short test ride, to check that the front fork was OK, after that car impact a few weeks ago. Fortunately it is: only the front wheel got bent. So now both bikes are ready to use.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Not so much fettled but came across my Park tools chain checker tonight while having a clear up in the nether regions of my cupboard.
Now, I thought I haven't done that much mileage this year, shouldn't read too bad....
The.75 just...only just slipped in. Bugger, I can't remember if that was my second or third chain on the Ribble, probably the third.
Ah well, better start looking for a bargain. IIRC, this Sram chain I got really cheap.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I measured the hole and thread on my crank and old pedals so I could ask the good folk of CC which size I needed to order.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I was down the town earlier and saw the following:

This kid (maybe early teens) was cycling accross a pedestrian crossing and as he got to the other side he promptly fell off his bike and hit the pavement. The back wheel had fallen out of the drop out and they were both standing there looking at the bike (a new Carrera mountain bike) with confused looks. I managed to sort the wheel out and tightened the QR but something just didn't feel right so I told him to walk it to the bike shop round the corner to have a look at it. It was my good deed for the day and hopefully his wheel doesn't randomly fall off again.

GOAB

Top Bottom