what have you found in the loft that you had forgot about

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
When we moved into our Victorian flat which when built would have been the flat above a corner shop, we had to cut a hole into the celing to create a loft hatch to get into the attic, so we we were the first people up there since the roof was put up 100 years earlier

However one item we found was an enamel R Whites Lemonaid sign we think from the 1930's.
It appears that there was bomb damage to the slates, we think the enamel sign was an ememrgency patch which was then pushed into the void by the roof repairers in 1942

The R Whites sign now hangs in the kitchen, it's in almost original condition

stephec

Legendary Member
A Japanese sniper who doesn't know that the war is over.

Hyslop

Veteran
Interesting question.When I was setting off to pick my Mum up from Rehab,I went into the attic to find a suitable case for her effects.Found one, grabbed it,and it didn't budge.Mainly because it was full of bags of copper coins.As were the next couple of bags I tried.A legacy of my Father I suspect,pre Dementia days.Im now counting copper every day,and as one can only deposit 10 bags per day,Ill be at it for a while!!

Hyslop

Veteran
A Karrimor rucksack bought in the 70's, a one man tent bought in the 80's
Yes you've just made me remember, there was a very early Berghaus day sac.Bright red,made from "Topspan" if I recall.Bought from Dean Street in Newcastle, still in decent nick,can't have used it much!

classic33

Leg End Member
Interesting question.When I was setting off to pick my Mum up from Rehab,I went into the attic to find a suitable case for her effects.Found one, grabbed it,and it didn't budge.Mainly because it was full of bags of copper coins.As were the next couple of bags I tried.A legacy of my Father I suspect,pre Dementia days.Im now counting copper every day,and as one can only deposit 10 bags per day,Ill be at it for a while!!
Are they all still legal, and have you tried weighing them rather than counting them?

Hyslop

Veteran
Are they all still legal, and have you tried weighing them rather than counting them?
Fortunately they are all still legal,and I'm borrowing a weighing machine from a friend over the weekend.What a dirty,soul destroying job, counting all those b*****y coins.I have a friend who works in the bank,and she giggles every time I lurch through the door with my Tesco bag of pennies!

classic33

Leg End Member
Fortunately they are all still legal,and I'm borrowing a weighing machine from a friend over the weekend.What a dirty,soul destroying job, counting all those b*****y coins.I have a friend who works in the bank,and she giggles every time I lurch through the door with my Tesco bag of pennies!
Took four stone of them in once.

classic33

Leg End Member
10 bags of coins per day now,I'm failing fast,the way I'm going,the coins are either going to pay for my funeral as I collapse in the bank,or Sandras as she collapses laughing.
If you're weighing them make a bag of each up, no mixed coins, and use them to check. They older ones were heavier.

classic33

Leg End Member
The alternative is one of those Coinstar type machines that counts coins automatically, but they do take a hefty percentage.
He'd be limited to a £100 per visit.

He could always do his weekly shop using them though!

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Cleaning out the downstairs closet last week I found a brand new box of Skechers shoes that I had apparently bought for work but never worn. They are grey/black slip ons and very comfy, I wore them in a couple of days this past week, but I have no memory of purchasing them.

Top Bottom