What I have learned after week 1 of commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Thanks to a change of employment, I've just made the leap from weekend warrior to cycling 8miles to work (and 8 miles back) Here's a list of things I've realised after week one.

1. Your bike gets a lot dirtier, very quickly.
2. I need more clothes.
3. I need fatter tyres.
4. For fatter tyres I 'need' a new bike.
5. 75% of pedestrians are either wearing headphones or looking at their phones while walking.
6. The redways in Milton Keynes are brilliant for cycling across town without getting involved with cars and buses.
7. Redways are also brilliant for getting involved with pedestrians, dogs, cats, squirrels and bags of rubbish.

Mudguards are your friend in this case. I added a mudflap made of old inner tubes on the front which makes a big difference too.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Mudguards are your friend in this case. I added a mudflap made of old inner tubes on the front which makes a big difference too.
Sadly I already have mudguards! I think that's part of the problem. I've squeezed a pair or crudcatchers into the small clearance on my Triban and so all sorts of crap ( mostly leaves) is getting bunged up in between. I like the old inner tube flap idea.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Maintenance and repairs were reduced massively when I switched to disc brakes. Best thing I ever did. So much of the really difficult gunk was brake pad rubber.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks to a change of employment, I've just made the leap from weekend warrior to cycling 8miles to work (and 8 miles back) Here's a list of things I've realised after week one.

2. I need more clothes.
3. I need fatter tyres.
4. For fatter tyres I 'need' a new bike.
5. 75% of pedestrians are either wearing headphones or looking at their phones while walking.
6. The redways in Milton Keynes are brilliant for cycling across town without getting involved with cars and buses.
7. Redways are also brilliant for getting involved with pedestrians, dogs, cats, squirrels and bags of rubbish.
I have uhm about 8-9 pairs of shorts an appropriate tops for each season etc etc , kit goes into the family wash cycle so reappears mlater on so no wash and wear .
Luckily my commute is all country lanes and small villages so no suicidal peds , just lorry drivers trying to to take you out on mini roundabouts ;)
Currently commuting on my rat bike carrea TDF build with 23 mm tyres and i manage just fine , thank gawd for mudgaurds though and as its a cheap bike i can maintain it easiy and cheaply , the final bonus is its locked up with decent locks compared to a lot more expensive bikes in the shed at work that have locks you can chew through with your teeth so its less attractive to a tea leaf .

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Redways get a lot of stick, but I like them. Some of the older parts of the network are delightful to ride.
The Redways are great if you a new policeman trying to make a name for yourself. I became known as the burglar catcher in MK. One burglar a night was not unusual. Sit in a bush after midnight and wait. They are like buses. Miss one and another will be along in a few minutes pushing their shopping trolley full of stolen goodies.

I agree on mudguards and disc brakes. The bike then requires a lot less cleaning.
In the winter I use merino wool base layers under my jacket, I can wear a couple a week and they do not get too smelly. I now have 5 sets of cheaper bib shorts and bib tights that get washed at the weekend. I already had more than enough summer tops.
I have a frame bag to put my lunch in, but on Monday and Friday I take my back pack with my overalls.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Redways are great if you a new policeman trying to make a name for yourself. I became known as the burglar catcher in MK. One burglar a night was not unusual. Sit in a bush after midnight and wait. They are like buses. Miss one and another will be along in a few minutes pushing their shopping trolley full of stolen goodies.

Bikes are cropping up more often in crimes.

The idea is to leave your mobile at home and use a bike to travel to the crime, thereby keeping yourself safe from registration number cameras, gps/phone mast tracking, and, mostly, CCTV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom