what i leaned from todays ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beardy01

Just got back from a 35 mile ride,29 of those in the rain and this what i learned
1. Dont go out on your bike after a big night out
2. Dont eat pizza, fried chicken and garlic bread 5 hrs before you go out it doesnt leave your stomach
3. Dont forget to put the inserts into your shoes that cover the vent your feet will get very wet
4. Dont buy cheap chinese waterproofs they not waterproof
5. Dont take a new route and come across the mother of a hill all of the above will take the fight out of you .... i had to stop and my pal had to wait for just over 7mins at the top , he timed me!!!
Worst ride in 6 months , schooboy after schoolboy error anyone else had a disaster day ride?????

Mod Edit: Bold typeface removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclist33

Just got back from a 35 mile ride,29 of those in the rain and this what i learned
2. Dont eat pizza, fried chicken and garlic bread 5 hrs before you go out it doesnt leave your stomach
3. Dont forget to put the inserts into your shoes that cover the vent your feet will get very wet
5. Dont take a new route and come across the mother of a hill all of the above will take the fight out of you .... i had to stop and my pal had to wait for just over 7mins at the top , he timed me!!!
Worst ride in 6 months , schooboy after schoolboy error anyone else had a disaster day ride?????

Nope, but at least yours was truly memorable :thumbsup:

Having spent the day in London on my bike
  • Don't trust anyone on a Boris Bike
  • Pedestrians jump more red lights than cyclists
  • Pedestrians don't look before stepping into the road
  • Pedestrians wander into cycle lanes with little care or predictability
  • Taxi drivers and bus drivers are not all gits
  • In case I did not mention it earlier pedestrians are gits.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sunburnt both feet at "Off The Tracks" by going to sleep in flip flops but in the shade and waking up several hours later when the sun had swung round (still in time for the sat main bands & plenty drinking time as the bar was open til 4am) carried on all day sunday but then had to cram my severely burnt and swollen feet into cycling shoes to do roughly 30 miles home pulling a laden trailer as the bike at the time had single sided road SPDs.:cry: It now has SPD/Bearcage pedals on!

OP
OP
beardy01

beardy01

Sunburnt both feet at "Off The Tracks" by going to sleep in flip flops but in the shade and waking up several hours later when the sun had swung round (still in time for the sat main bands & plenty drinking time as the bar was open til 4am) carried on all day sunday but then had to cram my severely burnt and swollen feet into cycling shoes to do roughly 30 miles home pulling a laden trailer as the bike at the time had single sided road SPDs.:cry: It now has SPD/Bearcage pedals on!
Sounds a little worse than wet feet for 29 miles but only just☺

The Mighty Boosh

and the best thing is, you are fitter and stronger for this ride, unless I hurt after a ride, I know that I have not done enough

AlanTh

Well as I am a "born again" cyclist, I haven't done loads of things wrong lately. But many years ago, I managed to make most of the mistakes, but not all in one day ......

Don't cycle too close to a high curb - you're left peddle will clip that curb and tip you off ....

Over use of front brake most certainly will send you over the handle bars ...

When there are decaying wet leaves on the road - keep your speed down to less than 30mph on corners - you will fall off.

Cyclists don't wear "capes" anymore - but in the olden days - don't let the cape get tangled up in your wheel. it will bring the bike to an abrupt halt (and tip you off).

When going downhill and approaching a "ford" in the road, be certain of the depth of the water. If the water is too deep, when you are shouting "WOO HOOO" and with your feet at handle bar hight, and doing about 30 mph, the water will stop the bike very quickly - and tip you off....

Happy days .... :smile:

OP
OP
beardy01

beardy01

and the best thing is, you are fitter and stronger for this ride, unless I hurt after a ride, I know that I have not done enough
i agree was just gutted couldnt get out fri or sat but am repeating that ride tomorrow after porridge and tuna salad cant fail to beat todays performance it was woeful lol

Local cycle track: often use it but still learning;
A) After 10:00 and weekends beware!!
1) Would be Lance Armstrong's (this is Armstrong territory) who do not give way or care a darn for you or:
2) Pedestrians talking / checking maps (it's on the Cumbria way)
3) Loose dogs
4) Worse still dogs on reelie leads
5) Dog muck
B) Expect your average pace to drop several points between Dalston and Carlisle because you like to think you are a thoughtful rider

winjim

Smash the cistern
Things I learned as a kid:
  1. When BMXing, if your front wheel falls off mid jump, you have just enough time to realise what's about to happen, before it happens.
  2. After fixing a puncture on a BMX, don't be too eager to get back out and ride - it pays to spend a little time ensuring you have tightened the wheel nuts properly.

Top Bottom