what i leaned from todays ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Cairns

Black ice has claimed me more than once or twice.

U

User33236

What I learned today was ........ never trust a sheep! I was cycling through some more remote areas of Wales where there were sheep in open areas.

Approaching one I saw it look up, appear to see me, and put its head back down to continue grazing. Next moment it ran straight out into the middle of the single track road and come to a sudden halt immediately in front of me. Luckily my brakes had dried from the earlier downpour and I was able to stop just before hitting it. It turned, gave a 'look' and ambled back to were it has previously been.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandragora

I've learned that when my friend's husband decides he's going to come out with us on a long ride he is very, very annoying, with the gift of riding 3/4 of a wheel-length behind you so that you know he's there, but can't see him properly and can't anticipate what he's going to do next. I also learned that when you need to pass a slower cyclist he intuits this and chooses that very moment to give one clang on his bell and pull past you leaving you running out of cycle track rapidly.

He learned that while I might seem to poddle along relatively slowly (I did - my friend and I had the whole world to put straight while we were out and there was much to be chewed over), I am fast enough up an incline when I want to be and if I don't want him to overtake me, he's not going to get it all his own way.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I learned today to tighten the laces on my SPD shoes. Nearly pulled my foot right out pulling the crank up:ohmy:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
ive learned how to show "fk off" really swiftly both managing my turning line. some D.head just cut my lane straight on roundabout if i wouldnt push my brakes i would of hit this motherfker.

OP
OP
beardy01

beardy01

What i learned today from my ride round the north norfolk coast from wighton to hunstanton and back is its bloody windy going one way. Have never ridden into such a strong headwind for 21 miles, it was relentless and very unforgiving. Was a lumpy ride too which into the headwind made the lumps feel like hills!!!! To put it into context 21.5miles into the headwind took me 1 hr 27mins , 21.5miles coming back took 1 hr 7mins averaging i estimate just short of 20mph . Although i was surprised at my 43 mile average of 16.7mph. Must say though it was a beautifully scenic ride with the sand dune coastline with regular glimpses of the sea and pretty little villages. Glad am just visiting my in laws as riding up here all year round would be hard with that wind but no great big hills!!!!! Think i will try inland monday :bicycle:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
I learned how to effectively cut around cars on choked lane, once i passed a motorbike, guy joined me and we both ended up at 3rd place on lights and we were around 20th when we started to :biggrin:

What i learned today from my ride round the north norfolk coast from wighton to hunstanton and back is its bloody windy going one way. Have never ridden into such a strong headwind for 21 miles, it was relentless and very unforgiving. Was a lumpy ride too which into the headwind made the lumps feel like hills!!!! To put it into context 21.5miles into the headwind took me 1 hr 27mins , 21.5miles coming back took 1 hr 7mins averaging i estimate just short of 20mph . Although i was surprised at my 43 mile average of 16.7mph. Must say though it was a beautifully scenic ride with the sand dune coastline with regular glimpses of the sea and pretty little villages. Glad am just visiting my in laws as riding up here all year round would be hard with that wind but no great big hills!!!!! Think i will try inland monday :bicycle:

I often ride up to the North Norfolk coast as it's only about 30 miles away. Its like that pretty much anywhere in Norfolk though (especially in the Fens where I live), the wind just seems to pick up pace across the fields. I've nearly been side-swiped off the bike many times by a good gust and as you say, pedalling into it can be flippin hard work.

I often ride up to the North Norfolk coast as it's only about 30 miles away. Its like that pretty much anywhere in Norfolk though (especially in the Fens where I live), the wind just seems to pick up pace across the fields. I've nearly been side-swiped off the bike many times by a good gust and as you say, pedalling into it can be flippin hard work.

It's particularly good fun when you are at the end of a 100 miler and I dont recall it all that fondly. :rolleyes:

Today I mostly learned that cross-bikes are awesome as are Vittoria Randonneur pros.I may have mentioned this before but I'm still recalling this fondly.

Top Bottom