What if we had a national referendum on.....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 25 Feb 2008.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...the use of UK roads by cyclists?

Do you think the 'great' British pubic would vote to ban us from the roads or continue as we are (moving targets)?

2. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

We'd get banned

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Not banned, but severely restricted. Cycle paths only, no racing or group riding, compulsory helmets, tax, insurance, Mot's etc...

4. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Paranoia is always at its worst late at night. I'm going to bed.

5. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I think the vast majority would say 'leave it as it is'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Aint Skeered

Aint Skeered New Member

Banned for sure, unfortunatly.

7. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

The cynic in me thinks we'd be banned for sure.
    You can't trust the average person to make a sensible and informed decision at the best of times. I may even be guilty of it myself once in a while ;)

8. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

This is what the Government pitch would be:

"We need to save the lives of little kiddies on the roads (picture of dead child flashed up) and anyone who objects to what we want to do is in favour of killing little kiddies (cue pictures of Myra Hindley and Ian Brady) so we need tough new laws to send a robust message. People will still be allowed to ride bikes on designated cycle paths once they have passed all their tests, so proper cyclists will not be affected in any way."

9. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

I think it would be a favourable outcome, assuming that only cyclists would bother themselves to cast a vote on cycling issues.

10. Pete

Pete Guest

Remember that we - the guys who post on this forum and others like this - are still only a tiny sample of all the cyclists out there. We may be more representative than the inhabitants of motoring forums, but we're still only a small minority. As for cager forum denizens - a mere drop in the ocean: consider how many motorists there are in the country at large!

I would hope for a sensible outcome, but of course you can't be sure if it hasn't been tried. Has any properly sampled opinion survey been done by one of the reputable pollsters?

11. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Moderator

well maybe we'd avoid getting banned if the cyclists of this country all voted against it. joe public can't be arsed voting these days, so we'd sway the vote.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice