What if we had a national referendum on.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...the use of UK roads by cyclists?

Do you think the 'great' British pubic would vote to ban us from the roads or continue as we are (moving targets)?

Dave5N

Über Member
We'd get banned

gbb

Legendary Member
The cynic in me thinks we'd be banned for sure.
You can't trust the average person to make a sensible and informed decision at the best of times. I may even be guilty of it myself once in a while ;)

This is what the Government pitch would be:

"We need to save the lives of little kiddies on the roads (picture of dead child flashed up) and anyone who objects to what we want to do is in favour of killing little kiddies (cue pictures of Myra Hindley and Ian Brady) so we need tough new laws to send a robust message. People will still be allowed to ride bikes on designated cycle paths once they have passed all their tests, so proper cyclists will not be affected in any way."

Tetedelacourse

I think it would be a favourable outcome, assuming that only cyclists would bother themselves to cast a vote on cycling issues.

Pete

Remember that we - the guys who post on this forum and others like this - are still only a tiny sample of all the cyclists out there. We may be more representative than the inhabitants of motoring forums, but we're still only a small minority. As for cager forum denizens - a mere drop in the ocean: consider how many motorists there are in the country at large!

I would hope for a sensible outcome, but of course you can't be sure if it hasn't been tried. Has any properly sampled opinion survey been done by one of the reputable pollsters?

Top Bottom