What is a British Airways "recognised bike bag/box"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its about as clear as mud!
Took a look last night and it left me wanting to call them as their site doesn't actually state what they will accept.
Speaking as an ex-baggage handler. I'd want the bike packed in something that meant I didn't get hurt handling it, nor could me handling it damage it. Luggage transfer isn't the easy, smooth process you're shown on TV. Time constraints mean they'll want it all loaded as quick as you're able.

Done it a few times after reading that policy of their. No issue at acceptance and no issue at arrival. Agree on the rough handling thus the padding and bubble wrap where needed. Also used the Fragile and this side up stickers when I used the cardboard box.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Qantas /Emirates allow 30kg in as many bags as you care to carry (please check this though) remember if you have internal flights with in Europe on a separate ticket, then that airlines rules apply.

You probably should engage a travel agent. Flight Centre are good and not expensive and have offices all over UK
My understanding of the BA policy is that you are allowed one piece of check in baggage, with a weight limit of 23kg.. The one piece can be a bike. If the weight of that one piece is over 23kg, even by 1kg, it's going to cost you £65 on an international flight. They will not accept any one piece of luggage weighing over 30kg. The cost of a second piece of check in baggage is £65 on international flights.

Additionally, you are allowed one piece of cabin baggage with a weight limit of 23kg, as long as it measures no more than 22 x 18 x 10 inches. Plus one "personal bag" (whatever the f@rk one of those might be!) max 18 x 14 x 8 inches.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The weight limit imposed on single items, comes down to health and safety for those actually handling the baggage.
Its not actually placed there by the airlines for their benefit. You could have two bags at 20kg each or the one at 40kg. The latter would be refused.
Heaviest bag I can recall moving, weighed over ten stone.

Globalti

Legendary Member
FWIW I've flown my bike to South Africa three times, each time packed inside the rigid dhb bike case that Wiggle used to sell. On the second trip the box emerged at Manchester after transiting at Paris very badly dented, as if it had been dropped from a height onto its end. The alloy frame was bent, one lock burst and the fibreglass shell cracked at its strongest point, on the narrow end. The internal padding prevented damage to the bike, which had enough room inside the case to move a little, absorbing any compression of the case. I was very grateful that I had not used a padded bike bag. AF bought me a new case, which I gave straight to my neighbour who had lent it to me then I managed to repair the older broken one, which I've used since for another return trip to Cape Town.

I never had a problem with the bike case, only paying excess baggage for one flight. The worst part of the trip was always getting the bike case into my agent's car, which is a Polo. It just fits across the rear seats!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Pack the bke in a protective case or bag.

I think it is pretty self explanatory. I made a very light bag out of spinnaker cloth for my Koga World Traveller and it has served me well for several flights without any complaints. Mind you the Koga is built like a tank. There is no protectiion in the bag but they do not specify what I am protecting it from. Prying eyes??? Dust???

classic33

Leg End Member
Pack the bke in a protective case or bag.

I think it is pretty self explanatory. I made a very light bag out of spinnaker cloth for my Koga World Traveller and it has served me well for several flights without any complaints. Mind you the Koga is built like a tank. There is no protectiion in the bag but they do not specify what I am protecting it from. Prying eyes??? Dust???
By placing it in a bag/case you are protecting other passengers luggage, not your bike. You are however ensuring that everything stays together. So no loss can occour that can be passed back to the airline.

vickster

Legendary Member
Contact the BA exec club or just standard customer services, just pick any option from the automated menu that will get you through to a person, they can then redirect you as needed

fimm

Veteran
My boyfriend and I flew BA to Nice along with his mate and the mate's girlfriend.
The two men had expensive carbon time trial bikes with them. Both bikes were packed into bike boxes (b/f's was totally rigid, can't remember what his friend's looked like, but you would assume similar). No issues at all with getting them on the flight. I'm pretty sure that they had paid extra up front to have the bikes as extra luggage.

I have sympathy with the OP, if you are not used to flying with a bike and you hear stories of people being refused luggage onto a plane then you want to be sure that you are doing everything correctly.

Brandane

Legendary Member
FWIW I've flown my bike to South Africa three times,

Strava, or it didn't happen!

flying_bike.jpg

Top Bottom