What is a 'SPORTIVE'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corshamjim

Maybe the reason why I like sportives so much is that all the elitist lot either aren't there, or are so far ahead (drafting one another -the cheats) they might as well not be there.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Reliability rides generally had a target time, eg. 100(miles) in 8(hrs) or 50 in 4. Sportives are challenge rides of short to middling distance with no upper time limits and with times given, but no placings. Audax proper starts at 200km (125m) and has upper and lower speed limits. Audax UK runs shorter events, but they're not internationally recognised.

That makes things a bit clearer, thanks.

brockers

Maybe the reason why I like sportives so much is that all the elitist lot either aren't there, or are so far ahead (drafting one another -the cheats) they might as well not be there.

Blimey! On more than one occasion I've been happily head down, bombing along thinking I'm alone. On looking over my shoulder to check for traffic, I realise I've been towing a group of twenty behind, none of whom had the courtesy to come through and do a bit of work on the front. I wouldn't have described any of these people as elitist riders. Quite the opposite in fact.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
It is less easy to define a sportive as they are non-regulated cycling activities that do not have to fulfil a set of specifications, i.e. unlike time trials, racing or audaxes. So:

- sportives come in different shapes and sizes but usually don't exceed 160km.
- on sportives there is no validation of entries or event standards (lengths, ascent values).
- sportives vary in terms of cost and quality - some awful and some excellent
- sportives are organised primarily by commercials organisation, sometimes on behalf of charities
- sportives provide rider back up and feed stations
- sportives are not endurance events like audaxes and are rarely as long as 200km+ randonees.
- sportives fees are typically within a range of £15-£30 with a few outliers

Audaxes:
- randonees are endurance events of 200km plus; Brevet Populaires are less than 200km but are not internationally recognised
- have conform to certain requirements on distance and time period for completion.
- are regulated by AUK.
- organisers are usually individuals or clubs and approved by AUK
- riders can gain points which contribute to a whole series of annual awards.
- riders are not supported with broom wagons and are responsible for their own rescue.
- are not commercial events, entry fees are cheaper but riders should not expect timing chips or waymarkers.
- fees are within a range of £4-£9, usually.

Neither sportives or audaxes are races and are not officially recognised as such, although audaxes are recognised as internationally as endurance events having to conform to standards.

yello

Is the sportive backlash starting? Is audax going to be the new black? ;)

Nah, sportives have their place. Not really my thing in truth but I do like the buzz of taking part (even if they do cost a bit). I do at least one a year just for a hoot.

I made the mistake of riding my local 180km ish one (as opposed to the 120km circuit)... how was I to know that it was a national trophy event! :laugh: I finished before the cut off (not by much in truth) so it was cool seeing my name on the results list for a national trophy. But, jeez, the quick lads are just that... quick! The winner was just over 2 hours ahead of me, I didn't think it was possible to go that fast on a bike and not be a pro!!

I also did the Copains de Ambert, the 120km course, a couple of years back - absolutely fantastic. The organisation is 2nd to none in my experience. The town is virtually given over to the event for the weekend; controlled junctions and/or closed roads, fabulous circuit, a real party atmosphere ... all for €35ish... can't complain really!

brockers

I made the mistake of riding my local 180km ish one (as opposed to the 120km circuit)... how was I to know that it was a national trophy event! :laugh: I finished before the cut off (not by much in truth) so it was cool seeing my name on the results list for a national trophy. But, jeez, the quick lads are just that... quick! The winner was just over 2 hours ahead of me, I didn't think it was possible to go that fast on a bike and not be a pro!!

I also did the Copains de Ambert, the 120km course, a couple of years back - absolutely fantastic. The organisation is 2nd to none in my experience. The town is virtually given over to the event for the weekend; controlled junctions and/or closed roads, fabulous circuit, a real party atmosphere ... all for €35ish... can't complain really!

From what I've heard you get a lot of retired pros and ex team guys disqualified for drug use dishing out the pain on the Euro sportives! I also remember reading about Jeannie Longo turning up to the Time Megeve, and doesn't ex F1 champ Alain Prost ride these nowadays and finish pretty high up in the standings ?

Wouldn't it be great if David Millar or Wiggo turned up for the Fred Whitton after they retire.

Garz

Squat Member
Wouldn't it be great if David Millar or Wiggo turned up for the Fred Whitton after they retire.

Yes, only to sign autographs and memorabilia.

In fact people who are decent or high cat ranked shouldn't be allowed to freely participate in some events, after all they are potentially doing is stealing someone else's thunder.

My first hundred mile charity ride some bloke done it on a TT machine and completed it when most had only got past the half way mark.

When I done the wrynose or bust event this year, the guy who won it was Andy Wilkinson a RTTC champion with an array of palmares, needless to say he steam-rolled the rest.
rolleyes.gif

Shanks

Hi, a look through http://ukcyclingevents.satmap.co.uk/ at the sportives being held gives the following details...

Date: 10 July 2011 - Type: Fun

Distance: 56.69 Miles

Max Elevation: 784 ft

Estimated Time: 1 - 2 hrs

56 miles in 1-2 hours
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif
is that really the standard expected on these events? For a fun route!

If it is I think I'll give them a miss - for a while at least.

Attachments

• ohmy.gif
    ohmy.gif
    261 bytes · Views: 48

corshamjim

Yes, being a bit of a slow-coach myself I have to check the maximum allowed time and make sure whatever I've chosen is do-able for me.

This August I'll be doing the Wiggle Mendip ride. I've chosen the 100 mile option but there's an opportunity to peel off on to the shorter route part way round which I'll take if the broom wagon is on my heels by then.

Bluebell72

Reading this and nearly hyperventilating - got my first sportive this Sunday. 56 miles in 1-2 hours??? Not on mine!
I paid a tenner by the way, but it's a CTC and subsidised by the Big Lottery Fund to try and get more people into cycling, which is no bad thing!

e-rider

crappy member
Hi, a look through http://ukcyclingevents.satmap.co.uk/ at the sportives being held gives the following details...

Date: 10 July 2011 - Type: Fun

Distance: 56.69 Miles

Max Elevation: 784 ft

Estimated Time: 1 - 2 hrs

56 miles in 1-2 hours
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif
is that really the standard expected on these events? For a fun route!

If it is I think I'll give them a miss - for a while at least.

No, to do it in 1 hour you'd need to average 56 mph - difficult on those roads even in a car!

It should read 2-4 hours really

Attachments

• ohmy.gif
    ohmy.gif
    261 bytes · Views: 50

Fiona N

Veteran
Yes, only to sign autographs and memorabilia.

In fact people who are decent or high cat ranked shouldn't be allowed to freely participate in some events, after all they are potentially doing is stealing someone else's thunder.

I hope you're joking :ohmy:

I rode in a couple of events in Italy when the legendary Maria Canins was riding. We're almost contemporaries so it was interesting to see how I fared against one of the great women riders of the '80s. The sport in general would be much poorer if the pros just disappeared after retiring.

fimm

Veteran
I've only done two Sportives. One was organised by a company (Hands On Events - worth googling if you are looking for Scottish Sportives) and the other was the Kinross Sportive which was organised by the local cycling club (there's a thread about it in the Sportives section of the forum). Both were well organised, both provided proper food (mostly cake) at the feed stations. The nice thing about the Kinross Sportive was they took you over all their favourite hills and back roads - you got all the local knowledge.

I've never done an Audax, though I would like to. The thing that you get with a Sportive that you don't get with an Audax is waymarking - though certainly with Kinross there were maps on the website and you were encouraged to know where you were going. (The other one I've done was on Skye and navigation wan't exactly difficult as there aren't so many roads... ;) )

C

chillyuk

I looked at some rides, and the Moonriders night ride to Brighton from London looked good. Then I looked at the ride information and promptly forgot it. £89 entry. This does include a hot meal half way. Wonderful! However the £89 isn't the end of it. You have to pledge £200 in sponsorship for one of their nominated charities. Personally I think they are extracting the urine.

When I lived in Suffolk I used to go out in the early hours and watch the Dun Run riders go through for a while. I have always promised myself to do it one day. I am now thinking next year. I will need the year to get into sensible condition for a ride of over 100 miles. The cost, £0, plus the cost of getting home (daughter on call from Sudbury).

Top Bottom