What is a 'SPORTIVE'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

You have to pledge £200 in sponsorship for one of their nominated charities.

That sort of thing bugs me too. I know one shouldn't be critical of "it's for charity" (or is that not question and follow blindly like sheep? ;) ) and, yes, there is win-win involved but there is something about it that's bitter to my taste too.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
No, to do it in 1 hour you'd need to average 56 mph - difficult on those roads even in a car!

It should read 2-4 hours really

Even two hours is flat-out time trial speed.

Shanks

Even two hours is flat-out time trial speed.

Well I'm glad there seems to be a consensus that the times here are pushing it a bit too far. Looking at another of their rides they quote an expected 4-5 hours for 126 miles
ohmy.gif

It would appear that I am not their intended target audience
biggrin.gif

I will check out some of the other links though thanks, and apologies for hi-jacking the thread a bit.

Cheers

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Well I'm glad there seems to be a consensus that the times here are pushing it a bit too far. Looking at another of their rides they quote an expected 4-5 hours for 126 miles
ohmy.gif

It would appear that I am not their intended target audience
biggrin.gif

More likely they don't actually have a clue.

frank9755

Cyclist
More likely they don't actually have a clue.

It's certainly a mistake. Perhaps someone put the route into TomTom and forgot to ask for a bicycle route...?

The sportive I did was last year's South Downs one organised by these people and I can tell you for certain that people were not going at crazy speeds! I think my average was about 15 mph.

frank9755

Cyclist
Yes, only to sign autographs and memorabilia.

In fact people who are decent or high cat ranked shouldn't be allowed to freely participate in some events, after all they are potentially doing is stealing someone else's thunder.

My first hundred mile charity ride some bloke done it on a TT machine and completed it when most had only got past the half way mark.

When I done the wrynose or bust event this year, the guy who won it was Andy Wilkinson a RTTC champion with an array of palmares, needless to say he steam-rolled the rest.
rolleyes.gif

It's not a race, so why does it bother you?

I've done time trials where top riders such as Jerone Walters or Matt Botterill have entered. They have been way faster than me (Botterill started directly behind me on one and came screaming past me after only a couple of miles!) but it hasn't diminished my experience at all - it only enhances it to see someone really good in action.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've never done an Audax, though I would like to. The thing that you get with a Sportive that you don't get with an Audax is waymarking - though certainly with Kinross there were maps on the website and you were encouraged to know where you were going. (The other one I've done was on Skye and navigation wan't exactly difficult as there aren't so many roads... ;) )

Do have a go - not many people get lost on audaxes! The route sheets are generally pretty good and, as more people get GPSs, there is less and less need for waymarking and signage.

OP
OP
gds58

gds58

Über Member
Wow, so many replies!!! Thanks guys and gals for all this info and comments. It's very interesting to hear all your thoughts on these events. Maybe I'll do one one just to experience it for myself.

Thanks again, Graham

fimm

Veteran
Do have a go - not many people get lost on audaxes! The route sheets are generally pretty good and, as more people get GPSs, there is less and less need for waymarking and signage.

Oops, I wasn't intending to imply that lack of waymarking was putting me off Audax - it is more lack of time! I don't think I'd have a problem with the navigation (my other hobby is hillwalking so I'm fairly competent with a map (and compass, which I don't think I'd need on an Audax... )) I guess it is just nice to come to a junction and not have to faff with a map.

brockers

Oops, I wasn't intending to imply that lack of waymarking was putting me off Audax - it is more lack of time! I don't think I'd have a problem with the navigation (my other hobby is hillwalking so I'm fairly competent with a map (and compass, which I don't think I'd need on an Audax... )) I guess it is just nice to come to a junction and not have to faff with a map.

The skill to turn you into a smooth rider is to get your route sheet with its beatifully arcane instructions, fold it, and mount it on a piece of plastic* attached to your handlebars or stem. Reading the route as you're going along, while cross referencing with the mileage readout from your in-flight computer ideally means you have a good idea of what's coming up, thus avoiding map faffage. It's a bit like orienteering from what I remember.

*I've made some out of sawn-up flower boxes and drilled them with holes through which I pass zip ties to wrap around the stem. Apparently you can buy ready made map holders from things called 'shops', but as far as I'm concerned that's against the spirit of resourcefulness and not dipping into your pockets, that audaxing engenders.

Shanks

It's certainly a mistake. Perhaps someone put the route into TomTom and forgot to ask for a bicycle route...?

The sportive I did was last year's South Downs one organised by these people and I can tell you for certain that people were not going at crazy speeds! I think my average was about 15 mph.

Ahh thanks very much Frank, now that sounds a much more realistic pace - especially for my first one. I may just give it a go and take my chances with the broom wagon if it comes by.

Cheers

Top Bottom