What is an audax and what to expect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

ok then guys, what would be a decent entry level garmin that won't break the bank? and if you haven't got one how the hell do you constantly read it while riding?!!! especially if it's raining, it'll be soaked in seconds and i'll be lost in minutes! lol.

I use a Garmin Edge 500. It has turn-by-turn directions so will beep as you approach a junction. If you miss a turn, it will beep again to tell you that you've gone off-course. I find it quite easy to read, and it beats the hell out of faffing around with a route sheet.

Regarding the speed of audaxes, it can vary quite considerably. I was riding with a group on one recently, which was so fast that we got to the first control before it opened! I decided to have an extra cake and let them carry on...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use a Garmin Edge 500. It has turn-by-turn directions so will beep as you approach a junction. If you miss a turn, it will beep again to tell you that you've gone off-course. I find it quite easy to read, and it beats the hell out of faffing around with a route sheet.

Regarding the speed of audaxes, it can vary quite considerably. I was riding with a group on one recently, which was so fast that we got to the first control before it opened! I decided to have an extra cake and let them carry on...

Glad you got a 500 that allows you to do that. My 500 cant handle any routes/courses over 40-50 miles. (it's a well documented problem) However the 200 does perfectly.

U

User482

Glad you got a 500 that allows you to do that. My 500 cant handle any routes/courses over 40-50 miles. (it's a well documented problem) However the 200 does perfectly.

Weird - I've never had a problem with that, and I've done routes of 120 miles+. Firmware issue?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Doesn't there then become a fine line between just having a 200k ride with a bunch of people and an Audax unless you particularly want points for some reason?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Depends whether you are after the points, the challenge, or just riding a nice ride around someone else's nice route and enjoying the company/scenery.

The reasons for riding audaxes are many and varied :smile:

Last edited:
U

User482

Doesn't there then become a fine line between just having a 200k ride with a bunch of people and an Audax unless you particularly want points for some reason?

As per @mcshroom I enjoy riding a nice route with like-minded individuals and some decent food stops. If someone wants to organise that and charge me a small sum for it, I'm very happy to pay.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As per @mcshroom I enjoy riding a nice route with like-minded individuals and some decent food stops. If someone wants to organise that and charge me a small sum for it, I'm very happy to pay.
I'm pretty much of the same mind .... from my limited experience ....

vorsprung

Veteran
I have a GPS ( Garmin Etrex 20 ) for audaxing. Although in some ways it is good and can make riding quicker (no slowing up looking for a turn) there are a number of drawbacks.

First there is the formats and sizes of route files that are supplied by people running events. My specific gps device will take either "routes" or "tracks". Both of these options have a limit on the number of points or waypoints or whatever they call it. Think of it as like a "join the dots" book. There is a limit on the number of dots.
So you have to realise all this crap and sort it out before the event. Or get lost in Dorset at 3am. The choice is yours. This put me off buying a gps device for years. I work in IT and the last thing I want to do for fun is mess about with file formats.

Second, the damn thing runs off batteries. The Etrex 20 will do approx 20 hours on a pair of AA batteries, so apart from having to remember to charge them the day before the event this is not too bad.

Third, reliability. Although the one I'm using is a modern, new, shiney device with stable software I have still experienced a few "freakouts" where it turns itself off or whatever. I don't think you can assume that it is going to work all the time even if the batteries hold out and the gpx file has been trimmed to the correct number of points.

Please note that I am using a "best in class" etrex 20. If you have a second hand device from ebay your problems will be multiplied

Mind you, there is a use for the device more important than audaxing. I went to the pub the other night and took a short cut through town, across several roundabouts
When it was time to go home no worries about remembering how to get back on the same route! The gps records it, all you have to do is follow the coloured line!

fimm

Veteran
Cheap way to carry your route sheet: put it into one of those transparent folder things, sellotape the open side up, and secure it round your arm with a suitable elastic band. Probably not good enough in heavy rain, but worked fine for me on a 300.

My experience of the 2 Audaxes that I've done was that they were very, very male dominated. Not that this is a problem, I'm just sharing my observation. Everyone was very friendly, though. I really should do some more (if I can be bothered to train up to doing 200km again).

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Amazed its not been said yet, but expect mostly men and an above average quotient of beards.

I much prefer them to sportives. The routes are great and looking at previous audaxes has helped me plot great routes in unridden areas.

I like a pub stop or two on route which can be accomodated, and if you want to ride alone you can, and if you want company you'll find some.

Top Bottom