What is an audax and what to expect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The point is cake.

Indeed....

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I did my first Audax last year, Beacon Road Club's Cotswold Outing, very good too. I printed the route cards in a sequence of A5 sheets, laminated. This was fine, except the only way I could read them with my aging eyesight was to hold them out at arm's length which may possibly have made me look a bit of a prat. I now ride with bi-focal wrap around safety specs, which means I can now mount the route card on a handlebar mounted clipboard and still see both the directions and the mileage counter on the cycle computer; two helpful things on an Audax. This year I'm going to remember to take a pen too so I can note the control data. I clocked up an extra 4 miles or so getting lost, but every mile helps with the mycycling mileage log.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
If you do choose a garmin, make sure it has removable batteries so you can swap them mid ride if they go flat. Dakota 20 ftw.

I got a rixen kaul little map holder to hold the route sheet on my bars, many scoffed at my 'tactical clipboard' until they got lost in the storm.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
[quote="ColinJ, post: 2961231, member: 712"

I realised yesterday how much progress I need to make before I will be able to complete a 200 again. I think I averaged 17 kph, but is was only over 103 km and I was knackered by the end.[/quote]

my bold
I realised a while ago that 200km is a few km too far & is likely to be so for some time & I get ceam crackered in far less than 100km.
atm 100km seems like the big hurdle that a 200km ride used to be before they became a comfortable prospect.
However keep on trucking pedalling eh what:bicycle:

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I most often use a Minaora Space Grip & Polaris map trap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minoura-Space-Grip-28-35mm-bars/dp/B0082BDWFO
http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/racing-news/maptrap-by-polaris.html
I always laminate the route sheet after trimming it to a size compatible with the map trap.

I sometimes use an Ortlieb bar bag with a waterproof map case
http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/bike/handlebar-bags/black-ultimate6-plus-large.html
http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/map-document/mapcase.html
The route sheet & relevant pages torn from a road atlas go in the map case.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I saw an audaxer who had his map/instructions on a paper roll about the size of toilet paper wound onto two rollers, which could be scrolled as he rode along.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
If you do choose a garmin, make sure it has removable batteries so you can swap them mid ride if they go flat. Dakota 20 ftw.

I got a rixen kaul little map holder to hold the route sheet on my bars, many scoffed at my 'tactical clipboard' until they got lost in the storm.
Just used my own Rixen Kaul map holder today in the Forest of Dean. Really glad I wasn't sticking to a programmed route, as I came across a major road closure in a hilly bit a few miles from the end of my ride. Have used the "tactical clipboard" in Provence, Languedoc, the Alps, the Ardennes, Scotland and Wales when on holidays, and have never got lost. Think I'll stick with what I know.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My route card holder is a poundworld clip board cut down to size and waterproofed by wrapping in gaffer tape. Fixes on top of the stem with 2 cable ties.

OP
OP
N

nxn2020

Well I've now done my first audax and can say it won't be my last! Loved it, even the hills. Weather was perfect which helped. As for the route, myself and my friend stayed with some others and just followed! Half the time I couldn't read the route sheet as due to the quality of uk roads my eye balls were trying to vibrate their way out of my head and I just couldn't focus! Really friendly atmosphere and no rush, just ride and enjoy the countryside....... loved it.

Huff n Puff

Glad you enjoyed it....did my first Audax in December and have now done seven, including my first Permanent. It's all been a bit of a learning curve and a few 'off course excursions' but it's great. Latest lesson learned; on a Permanent, if collecting receipts check that the shop has bothered setting it's till to the right date and time before you leave! Doh!

Top Bottom