What is an LED Loop ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably a daft question, but until I get into my LBS to have a closer look I'm a bit confuzzed. :biggrin: :ohmy:

I'm doing a bit of looking round at saddle packs and the like and many seem to mention "Reflective piping and flasher led loop for improved visibility". So I'm assuming that this simply means a loop of fabric or whatever from which you can hang an LED rear light due to the bag taking up the space which the light would normally occupy on the seat post / below the seat.

That being the case, how does this actually work and does it work all that well? Do you need to use the bracket which would normally go round the seat post or does the light clip directly to the bag in some way? Given that different lights have different means of attaching surely it would be a case of one-size-doesn't-quite-fit-all ??

Like I say, I'm LBS-bound over the next week or so to do more research but I'm just curious in the meantime.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Lazy-Commuter said:
...I'm assuming that this simply means a loop of fabric or whatever from which you can hang an LED rear light due to the bag taking up the space which the light would normally occupy on the seat post / below the seat...
That's how I'd read it.
Lazy-Commuter said:
That being the case, how does this actually work and does it work all that well? Do you need to use the bracket which would normally go round the seat post or does the light clip directly to the bag in some way? Given that different lights have different means of attaching surely it would be a case of one-size-doesn't-quite-fit-all ??
You'll need one of the lights with a built-in clip (akin to the style you could clip onto the waistband of your shorts etc.).

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

Landslide said:
You'll need one of the lights with a built-in clip (akin to the style you could clip onto the waistband of your shorts etc.).
Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense: it was baffling me how it would work, but that is an obvious answer now I think of it have had it pointed out to me.:biggrin:

I guess my nosey round the LBS will reveal if I can bodge something up ..

The light from LED's is very directional; you have to get the horizontal aim accurate for maximum visibility. This is hard to do with a fabric loop in my experience - they tend to droop down slightly.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
cheadle hulme said:
The light from LED's is very directional; you have to get the horizontal aim accurate for maximum visibility. This is hard to do with a fabric loop in my experience - they tend to droop down slightly.
And often more than slightly.

Always mount the LED on something solid if at all possible, usually using a seatpost or seatstay mount.
Loops on bags are useful for a spare light though.

Top Bottom