what is it about 27" wheeled bikes !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
commuted half the day , today on a late 80's Raleigh Granada equipped with 27" wheels and Schwable Marathons , first time for a while on 27"s and they just feel so more relaxed and less twitchy than normal commuter with 700c's .

then on way home lunch time i picked up vibration where the tyre sidewall started to peel of the rim ! seconds later loud bang and 1 flat tyre !!!

so looks like another job when i get home tonight

tyred

Legendary Member
I like 27" myself, although they should be functionally no better than a 700 tyre of similar width.

For the ultimate, try a 28" wheeled roadster. Takes a bit of effort to spin such big heavy wheels up to speed but once you do, they glide along and bumps simply don't exist.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would guess in the OPs case, he's comparing sensible sized 27 x 1 1/4" tyres with narrow, high pressure 700s. Wider tyres, irrespective of diameter are the way to go for normal everyday riding.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
guys all i am saying is that most of my recent riding has been done on various 700c equipped road bikes ranging from an alloy triathlon framed bike that has been modded for commuting to a columbus slx tubed road bike and a couple of steel Peugoets & Raleighs , but everytime i cock my leg over a 27" equipped bike they just ride so easily and relaxing . yes i understand shorter wheelbase & narrower tyres all make a big differance never mind frame design and angles .

Turnpike

Regular
Commiserations for the burst tyre - was the tyre faulty or just old/perished?

There's a lot to be said for having a 1.25" wide tyre for commuting especially with the current state of our underfunded pot-holed roads. Add to that 27" rims and a classic racing frame and you can't go wrong

How does your experience with tubulars compare to the 27"ers?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
it just burst after doing about 3.5 miles since being fitted so tend to think i might have trapped the tube on fitment .

bike that i am putting tubs & sprints on is my next project , so watch this space , used tubs for a short on my old commuter about 2 yrs ago they seemed to be ok considering the tubs were really old .

Turnpike

Regular
I picked up a pair of Mavic GP4s with tubs fitted a couple of years back, but haven't got the nerve to commute on them before getting at least one spare to carry. I've got them fitted to a 1987 Raleigh Road Ace at the moment, and they're so smooth and free rolling I'm looking forward to commuting on them - despite all the scare mongers who say punctures are a nightmare!

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
P9020201.jpg

P9020178.jpg

:wub:

Top Bottom