what is it about 27" wheeled bikes !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunbar

Über Member
27" is 4mm larger radius than 700c. 622mm v 630mm in ERTO

700c can be labelled 28", especially in Germany or Holland but real 28" wheels are what you find on large framed vintage roadsters and are 635mm in ERTO. 635s are the king of tyre sizes and roll majestically on all road surfaces. You haven't lived until you've rode a rod braked roadster.

Like I had when I was a 12 year old, and rode to Stratford-upon-Avon, after trying to find my Nan's house in Small Heath! :laugh:

Dunbar

Über Member
27" is 4mm larger radius than 700c. 622mm v 630mm in ERTO

700c can be labelled 28", especially in Germany or Holland but real 28" wheels are what you find on large framed vintage roadsters and are 635mm in ERTO. 635s are the king of tyre sizes and roll majestically on all road surfaces. You haven't lived until you've rode a rod braked roadster.
Ooops. Duplicate post. :laugh: Hope all this doesn't mean I need new wheels for my 1960s racer! :angry:

I concur. Having recently done a short test ride on my new/old project hack, having for the last too many years been stuck on cheep 700's (hghly buckleable) and MTB 26"'s(great on dirt, but disappointing even on 'slick' tyres). As mentioned the 28"'s are truly memorable, especially being on the lanky side! All the proportions just seem to fit better. Along with the reassurance of coasting on something that was built to last both the wheels and the frame. I't was a Dawes circa 1980 perhaps, no idea what happened to it or what model, but was a quality ride.
'
Duplicate Post', more views to consider. OMG I've been driven to cheesy text abbreviation!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This years project is to strip and rebuild the old Carlton, took it out of the shed where it has languished unridden for the past 4yrs. Pumped the tyres up and rode a couple of miles and 2 things struck me, how comfortably it rode (27" wheels) and how high geared it is (lowest is 42-23. :eek:)

DSCN0110.JPG

DSCN0111.JPG

Last edited:

dbeattie

Über Member
The Pennine I got from Mr Biggs has 27" wheels and I like it.
2 reasons for liking the big wheels:
They're different.
They're big.
Ok a 3rd reason: It gives me a reason to make special spare wheels. I mean who doesn't like having a wheel to make? You can get a cheap rim and some spokes and find a suitable hub and make a wheel. And then you can make yourself an excuse for the wheel not being totally true to 0.2mm because there's a manufacturing tolerance on the rim at the pinned joint. And you can ride around and tell yourself your wheels are awesome considering.
27" wheels are brilliant!

Top Bottom