what is it about 27" wheeled bikes !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's another reason why as kids we use to wear our shoe heals away using them to slow down with
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLAKEYS-M...SOLE-SIZE-7-PROTECTOR-HAMMER-ON-/380817928797

And a stream of sparks:becool:

What amuses me more is that as a youngster them new fangled "Mountain Bikes" started using them 26"(559) wheels as the smaller wheel allowed a stidffer and stronger construction. The old guard tourers etc stuck with their tried and tested 700 C wheels

Then along came a new and far better system.... the 29"wheel, and the 29er fashion.

Ironically the 700c size is a 622mm diameter as is the 29er!

A superb piece of marketing as "new" a wheel size that has been around for years and predated the mountain bike

Drago

Legendary Member
MTBs as they started to evolve in the UK by Geoff Apps started out as 27" in his early experiments, and 650B with his first production machine, the Range Rider.

In the states there original genesis was from Cruisers, which were 26". As people started to develop purpose built bikes they stuck with that size as it was considered a children bike size, and therefore attracted much more favourable sales tax rates. The stiffness was just a Billy bonus.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What amuses me more is that as a youngster them new fangled "Mountain Bikes" started using them 26"(559) wheels as the smaller wheel allowed a stidffer and stronger construction. The old guard tourers etc stuck with their tried and tested 700 C wheels

Then along came a new and far better system.... the 29"wheel, and the 29er fashion.

Ironically the 700c size is a 622mm diameter as is the 29er!

A superb piece of marketing as "new" a wheel size that has been around for years and predated the mountain bike
I remember when MTBs first came out. I used to pass a guy on my way to work most mornings on one of them. He was spinning like billy-oh at about 10mph as I cruised past at 25+ on the Carlton.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
They tyre size will make more of a difference than the rim

yet to try a 27 x 1" set up although the Khs i have has that size rim but has 27 x 1 1/4" tyres

dbeattie

Über Member
While we're talking about tyres.. Is it possible for tyres to squeak in the rim when going over a bump? Or is it probably something else?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What brand?
Not sure, I'll have a look tomorrow, they came from Bob Warners when John used to get them for Cliff Smith who used them as training tyres but after Cliff died he'd a couple left and let me have one when I asked about 'lighter tyres' for mine. Cliff had 2 bikes almost identical but one had tubs and the other clinchers (both with 'ultraclose' SA hubs)

View: https://youtu.be/I56m7KF7Erc

EDIT - he talks about it from 2 minutes on.

Top Bottom