what is it about a brommie!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
The views against small wheels are mistaken: when Moulton introduced their first racing cycle which broke records, it had a 17" wheel. Most cycles with a 20" wheel have road tyres, not the BMX type, and these usually measure just 18". So, the Brompton tyre of 16" is barely smaller! My Brommies have managed up to 100+ miles in under 10 hours; maximum speed reached several times is 39 mph. I have used them on hard off road surfaces and the only difficulty has been in soft ground. Many recumbent cycles are now using these smaller wheels, too.

The Moulton small wheel road bikes were very quickly banned by the UCI. They are that fast!

Crankarm

Guru
The views against small wheels are mistaken: when Moulton introduced their first racing cycle which broke records, it had a 17" wheel. Most cycles with a 20" wheel have road tyres, not the BMX type, and these usually measure just 18". So, the Brompton tyre of 16" is barely smaller! My Brommies have managed up to 100+ miles in under 10 hours; maximum speed reached several times is 39 mph. I have used them on hard off road surfaces and the only difficulty has been in soft ground. Many recumbent cycles are now using these smaller wheels, too.

:eek:

byegad

Legendary Member
I can understand why people would buy one but I couldnt live with the tiny wheels and I prefer my bikes to look a bit more aggressive/sporty. No offense to anyone of course, just my own insignificant view.

When I get my Reach built up from the frameset to a complete bike in the next week or so I am sure people will look at it and shake their head, so I am steadying myself for the onslaught I know is coming :-)

This is what the Wheelmen said when the safety bicycle came out. 'Those tiny sub 30" wheels are slow and will never replace the majesty of the Ordinary.'

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
and, however much I love my Colnago, you can't beat this for pulling power..

27092011279.jpg

I often wondered what the point of the rear rack was.

Top Bottom