What is it with Giant bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend of mine is interested in the Giant Defy Composite 1 2014. Whilst the spec. looks good (except for the wheels, I have heard they are rubbish), why does it look so boring? Other brands at this price point would offer integral cable routing and just more stunning looks. I don't know if Giant are making it look conservative to suit its riding geometry?

I must say though, I do like the look of the TCR composite 1 2014, but it still has external cables, which to me ruin the appearance.

I would be interested to hear others views, as maybe I am being a bit picky.

I'm not a fan of Giant's TBH, not entirely sure why, but perhaps it's because I'm 6'5", so riding a bike with Giant plastered all over it does not float my boat!

Peteaud

Veteran
Love my giant (Defy 2) but when buying Carbon i ended up going for another make. I did ride and look at the Giants but the finish was not the same as Specialized or Cannondale.

Their local "store" are also utterly useless for me as well.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
Cycling Plus amongst others. Had the title for second year in a row as it happens.

Best £1,000 that is, as no bike wins best bike full stop, obviously.

Edit: Whom told you they were rubbish btw?
OK, OK, I was only asking so I could read for myself:rolleyes:. I never said they were rubbish, I have never even sat on one. I was purely stating that I think the appearance is dull on an expensive bike. Some friends who have Giant bikes told me that the stock wheels are rubbish.

bpsmith

Veteran
OK, OK, I was only asking so I could read for myself:rolleyes:. I never said they were rubbish, I have never even sat on one. I was purely stating that I think the appearance is dull on an expensive bike. Some friends who have Giant bikes told me that the stock wheels are rubbish.

I know. Wasn't being arsey either. I did misread the rubbish but though, as missed that you just meant the wheels. I did read a few reviews that stated the wheels were the weakest bit about the Defy 1, but there is always somewhere they cut back on and poorer wheels don't jump out at you like a lower group set, so they get away with it easier that way. I just figured that I would swap them at some point, when I run out of things to buy...which might take some time... :smile:

zizou

Veteran
Giant bikes do look a bit dull but i suspect the design here is based on functional reasons - internal cables can have some issues with set up and friction compared to external so there are drawbacks as well as advantages to having it this way.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
I know. Wasn't being arsey either. I did misread the rubbish but though, as missed that you just meant the wheels. I did read a few reviews that stated the wheels were the weakest bit about the Defy 1, but there is always somewhere they cut back on and poorer wheels don't jump out at you like a lower group set, so they get away with it easier that way. I just figured that I would swap them at some point, when I run out of things to buy...which might take some time... :smile:
I do like the look of the geometry and as I said the TCR looks nice. If the looks were better, IMO, I would probably be more interested in them. Read some of the reviews you were talking about, and they are very good. I just wish the styling were better. Maybe next year when I am in the market for a new bike, I will plonk my rear on one or two:thumbsup:

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
Giant bikes do look a bit dull but i suspect the design here is based on functional reasons - internal cables can have some issues with set up and friction compared to external so there are drawbacks as well as advantages to having it this way.
But the Defy Advanced 2 (which was bike of the year 2013) has internal routing but it costs way more.

Top Bottom