What is it with Giant bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Isn't that usually within a certain price bracket?

I remember reading the article,but not a stipulated price point. They judged it best with a nod to value for money amongst ride,equipment etc for amateur road/crit/sportive rider

What is it with Giant bikes?

They weigh a ton ^_^

giant_bike.jpg

the_mikey

Legendary Member
A friend of mine is interested in the Giant Defy Composite 1 2014. Whilst the spec. looks good (except for the wheels, I have heard they are rubbish), why does it look so boring? Other brands at this price point would offer integral cable routing and just more stunning looks. I don't know if Giant are making it look conservative to suit its riding geometry?

I must say though, I do like the look of the TCR composite 1 2014, but it still has external cables, which to me ruin the appearance.

I would be interested to hear others views, as maybe I am being a bit picky.

Not everyone wants internal cable routing? But also, the TCR composite frame is tried and trusted and Giant bikes represent good value for money generally. It has a small taste of internal cable routing, have a look at the front derailleur, it's a pig to replace, and that's why I'm happy not to have any more internal cable routing!

Giant wheels seem to be made of cheese however, but so are the wheels supplied with many other brands, the bike is built to a price so usually wheels are sacrificed to meet the price target.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
They look classy to me but that's just an opinion . The external cable routing was pointed out to me in the giant shop and someone said they had no idea why the hell they had done that . Maybe to get you to spend the extra money on one with internal cabling ?

inkd

Thanks people, I have an upcoming decision on my next cyclescheme and the defy 1 was top of my list and reading that the wheels are cheese is not great. Although i have been browsing Planet X website at their sub £1000 carbon bike :whistle:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Thanks people, I have an upcoming decision on my next cyclescheme and the defy 1 was top of my list and reading that the wheels are cheese is not great. Although i have been browsing Planet X website at their sub £1000 carbon bike :whistle:

Fair point, the wheels are still cheese though!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I agree with the_mikey, why the fascination with internal routing, it just complicates things that are complicated enough.

I rode a Giant SCR 1A as a commuter bike for about six years and as a distance bike for two years (whilst still a commuter). It was a replacement frame as they couldn't supply a similar one to my old SCR1. It needs stuff replacing on it but then all bikes do. About all else that was wrong with it is it was dirty. Oh and the wheels were made of cheese. But they were better wheels than came stock with Lelly (£2k Ti bike).

EDIT: Lelly is a Planet X bike so beware the wheels!

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
I went into a Giant store in France at the weekend, just browsing you understand. I really do think the Defy Composite 1 looks pretty dull, but the TCR Composite 1 looks super sexy. Same price, different geometry I know, but how different are they in reality to ride.

Sappho96

Regular
I went into a Giant store in France at the weekend, just browsing you understand. I really do think the Defy Composite 1 looks pretty dull, but the TCR Composite 1 looks super sexy. Same price, different geometry I know, but how different are they in reality to ride.

Do you mean the black and blue one? Very pretty!

Now go to bed ;)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
No idea as im still paying for it ! There is riding and riding . A spin down the road is pointless , I wanna do 30 miles on it and puke at the end to know and they don't let you do that until they have your cash . Give me a few weeks and I will let you know .
My spec to the store was if I want to go for a nice long ride I have the defy 5 ( starter road bike but lovely to ride ) Why buy another one like that ? I go out now and then to ride it like I stole it and I want the bike to look as good as me . Some one mentioned there was an old MTB in the high street with no wheels and had been pretty kicked in but I ignored that comment :laugh:

Kies

Don't beleive all that you read, my wheels (defy 1)are true and still doing a great job with 2500 miles on the clock. I started out as a heffer at 16 stone, and even now at 13.5st the wheels are stellar. I will change them at 3000 to some Mavic's or Fulcrum's, but the stock wheels are not made of cheese

Top Bottom