What is it with Giant bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My SR-2's are just over 1500 miles in a few months and doing fine . Ive hit a few potholes where I thought that's the wheels gone but they are ok .

inkd

So which Giant wheels are cheese? the 2014 defy1 has P-Elite C wheelset, and 2013 has P-R2 wheelset. ??
I am probably going to get this for my next cyclescheme.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have done many thousands of miles on the SR2 set too, not an issue and the roads are appalling around here nor am I the lightest :smile:

So they must be made of a hard cheese like parmesan :hungry:

inkd

Could anyone explain the difference between the P-R2 on the defy1 2013 and P-Elite C wheelset on the 2014 model please as i have been toying with the idea of getting the 2013 model.

Linford

Fair point, the wheels are still cheese though!

The only problem I've had with the wheels on my OCR1 has been with a puncture...OK, the bike hasn't got the swoopy top tube as it is a few years old not, but rides very well, and spec'd out with quality bits.

Leodis

Veteran
The problem with Giant and others is they have so many people in the chain (no pun intended) taking a piece of the action, Ribble or PX less people better bike components for your cash.

vickster

Legendary Member
And the big companies spend an enormous amount on marketing, branding, sponsorship, also R&D...all of which needs to be recouped - although they do have greater purchase power, whether or not they pass those savings onto the consumer is anyone's guess

Judderz

The problem with Giant and others is they have so many people in the chain (no pun intended) taking a piece of the action, Ribble or PX less people better bike components for your cash.
You ever ridden their Rodi Evo Pro wheelsets?

Leodis

Veteran
You ever ridden their Rodi Evo Pro wheelsets?

No, but if you are spending over a grand on a bike I would expect a semi decent wheelset, though I would have had a choice with Ribble Rodi or the ITM Aero 2.4 for an extra £20 + you could get a heavy set of bladed Shimano R501's for an extra £25. Entry level but decent wheelsets, maybe Rodi isnt.

Judderz

No, but if you are spending over a grand on a bike I would expect a semi decent wheelset, though I would have had a choice with Ribble Rodi or the ITM Aero 2.4 for an extra £20 + you could get a heavy set of bladed Shimano R501's for an extra £25. Entry level but decent wheelsets, maybe Rodi isnt.
Already had a set of R500's. Went for the Rodi Evo Pro...biggest mistake ever buying wheels. They should be sued for calling it an actual wheel. Never again will they grace the tarmac.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My 2011 Defy 2's original wheels were Shimano hubs with SR-2 rims. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.2/7842/45447/

I bought it in February 2012.

After last winter's commuting (ie after just over a year) the rims were ground down past the wear indicators, badly worn & needed replacing. I had worn out the original pads & replaced them with Aztec pads/holders.

Applying the brakes sometimes felt like applying not just sandpaper, but a cheesegrater or rasp. Truly horrible. I would clean the pads weekly but the rims just wore out whenever it was raining. After rain there would be lots of black muck and lots of shiny bits of aluminium stuck in the pads.

When I bought a new wheelset (Mavic CXP33/Shimano 105 hubs) I got Swissstop pads and have not had the same problem.

I still have the old wheels in the garage but am planning to replace the rims myself one day..

My LBS stock Giant , the Defy advanced 2 has actualy gone down in price fro £1999 to £1899, you will find most of the defy range tops out in bike reviews.
The defy 2 was decribed as
"the bike our testers kept coming back to, and it’s become the reference point for a £2,000 bike. A classy, light frameset that’s futureproof and superbly finished, with great kit and a ride that truly offers the best of both worlds – we’re sure it will impress you as much as it has us."
in Cycling plus to win bike of the year.
This bike would definatley be my choice .

On_the_bike

I have a giant tcr composite and under the little plastic bits that hold the cables in place are some holes so if u want to have internal cables just re-route it or ask LBS to do it

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have a giant tcr composite and under the little plastic bits that hold the cables in place are some holes so if u want to have internal cables just re-route it or ask LBS to do it
I think those holes are for Di-2 . That's the case with my TCR advanced anyway .

Top Bottom