What is 'necessary' to live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I think, in all honesty, with the impending recession that people are looking forward to tightening their belts a bit.

It's a bit of fun like going camping on holiday or something.

bonj2

£13k is only enough if you don't have loans, other debts, etc, or other outgoings like child maintenance, got kids to pay for yourself, etc etc.

Different criteria apply.
If you work out what someone should expect for doing an honest days work then they should expect a bit of cash to buy a TV and have a bit of recreation.
But if you work out what someone should expect for not doing an honest days work then we are providing a safety net not an income substitute. So a basic roof and simple food should do it.
You need a gap between dole and job to give incentive to work.

Difficulty is then how much to pay sick person? Again is it a safety net or should it be a bit more?

Most things we say are needs are only wants.

Flipping heck, if £13,400 is what you need to live, then I should officially be dead - got nowhere near that :smile:. In fact, that would be a life of luxury afaic!!! Although I suppose it's a bit cheaper up here than for example in London...

Keith Oates

Janner
Different people have different needs/expectations so it's hard to put a cash figure on that. It's a bit like saying how many bikes do you need and the answer to that is +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think Dayvo covered the essentials.

Of course, for some, basic recreation is always going to be more expensive than for others, it depends how you like to relax. And even within one hobby there are vast differences - we see that in cycling. I seem to remember the survey said a bike was an essential - anyone know what monetary value they gave a bike? I suspect there are some on here who wouldn't think it was worthwhile if it cost less than £500, and some who get about perfectly well on something worth £50...

NickM

Veteran
Melvil said:
...what would you consider essential to continue your way of life and to be happy?
Apart from the obvious essentials (roof over head, food, etc.), the three Bs: books, beer and bicycles. And the company of my significant other in which to enjoy them.

Top Bottom