What is T6?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Elmer Fudd said:
Worked there on contract a few years back, how I met the woman I'm with now.
Started off at BA Redditch** many moons ago and I've "been around a bit" since then. I heard about Banbury being taken over but didn't know that their days may be numbered.

** Was back their for 2 or 3 years just before moving up here. They only do tubes these days. Very boring from a Correctors point of view although you could have some fun

BA tubes fortune has been turned around. They were bought out by a German company last year and have had a guaranteed order book filled for another 2 years as well as £1 million cash injection by the new parent company. IIRc they have taken on about 70 new workers in the last few months.

Banbury is winding down and will be closed by august with all the tooling being transfered to Sapa Cheltenham (old Indalex) and Sapa Tibshelf, so they are getting busier. They would be your best bet if you are looking for work.

Are you working for an extruder now ?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
linfordlunchbox said:
BA tubes fortune has been turned around.** They were bought out by a German company last year and have had a guaranteed order book filled for another 2 years as well as £1 million cash injection by the new parent company. IIRc they have taken on about 70 new workers in the last few months.
That would be to replace the workers they sacked made redundant during the last couple of years I worked there.

** So leaving did some good then !!

LLB

Is it specifically correction work you are looking for or would you consider working as a polisher for one of the die makers, would you move south if the right job came up ?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
linfordlunchbox said:
Is it specifically correction work you are looking for or would you consider working as a polisher for one of the die makers, would you move south if the right job came up ?
Did a stint of that at Elite a few years back now, Err not really my cup of tea (not all their/ my fault, the beginning of a lot of personal issues came to light during my employ with them), wouldn't mind doing the roving contract stuff for a Die maker though as I've done that before as well

Zoiders

alecstilleyedye said:
7005 seems to be the most popular these days on mid range bikes, merida still use 6061 (it's how you can spot a merida frame with a carrera badge on), as do some other other makes. colnago have some 600 series alu frames too.
I spoke to Merida to source a hanger for a Carrera Subway, they stopped making the Carrera frames almost two years ago

Dont know who they are sourcing them from now

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
carrera and merida fell out over something. my carrera is of that vintage, so it's a merida frame (the 6061 being the giveaway, the more recent ones are 7005 and have steel forks as opposed to the aluminium ones mine came with, which i swapped for carbon).

simonali

Guru
Elmer Fudd said:
TuT, Tut,
That's more betterer, man, that's more betterer
(Gawd I hate people who have to nitty picketery :biggrin:)

That does sound a bit more gooder, now you mention it.

Zoiders

alecstilleyedye said:
carrera and merida fell out over something. my carrera is of that vintage, so it's a merida frame (the 6061 being the giveaway, the more recent ones are 7005 and have steel forks as opposed to the aluminium ones mine came with, which i swapped for carbon).
They probably fell out over cost

Merida being based in Taiwan, Tawian having a skilled work force with an ever rising standard of living

I bet Halfrauds wanted the frames for naff all and Merida werent having it, good for them I say, they have better fish to fry and better brands to manufacture for.

Monty Dog

Virtually all decent quality aluminium frames are 6000 series because the heat treatments removes the residual stresses from welding and help ensure a homogenous structure - it's more expensive though.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Monty Dog said:
Virtually all decent quality aluminium frames are 6000 series because the heat treatments removes the residual stresses from welding and help ensure a homogenous structure - it's more expensive though.

looks like i got a bargain then (£250 for the bike, but have spent as least as much upgrading) ;)

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
T0 is as extruded.
T4 is solution treated and naturally aged.
T6 is solution treated and artificially aged.
Solution treated is where the alloy is extruded and cooled either by air or water to give a rapid temperature drop, this changes the grain structure to give a harder alloy.
Alloy gets "harder" the older it gets (ageing) so by cooking the alloy in ovens for a predetermined time (different temps and times for different alloys) you can make the alloy even stiffer.
1050 / 1070 is virtually pure alloy and as soft as poop.
6063 is the standard stuff you tend to see everywhere.
6061 is a slightly harder mix than 6063
7005 we are now getting into aerospace alloys.
3X04 A company specific alloy that is tough as old boots.

interesting...
where does 6082 fit into that 'scale'?
both my bikes are 7005.

Top Bottom