What is the best lightweight tourer bike that can carry a full camping load?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am starting to look at swapping my galaxy for a 60cm smaller lighter galaxy tourer some how...what else might work though?

jags

Guru
i can safely say there's no such thing as a light weight tourer,im not been smart but no matter what bike you have once you start loading it up it's going to weigh some .super hand built wheels would be the way to go on your own frame,lighter racks maby lighter camping gear.that my 2 cent worth.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok..so swapping my 64 galaxy for 60 galaxy isnt such a dumb idea then...its a better fit and will still carry the loads. It's just that I see so many other touring bikes out there (no galaxies though) so I was thinking maybe they all knew better than me?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
As has been said, few tourers will be very light. However the German firm Patria does do good touring bikes. It might be worth finding out what their tourer weighs and comparing it to your Galaxy. There's also an American firm which does a titanium tourer which may be significantly lighter.

just jim

Yup..maybe it's time for something more bespoke BTFG!

As long as you have a bit of spending cash that is...

I can't believe you're doing this to us again. We'd just all relaxed after the Bianchi buy. Been out on it yet?

northernwalker

Looks like we have a smilar steed...

I have done a bit of research on this and if I do buy another tourer, it will be bespoke.

Probably a Mercian as my neighbour still rides his after 30-odd years.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Landslide said:
Think about how much full camping kit weighs, then think about how negligible a difference it'll make if you shave a couple of hundred grams off the bike.

Couple of kilos more like .... Have you seen his list of camping kit...? it's on another thread here somewhere....

Two camping mats - forsooth, what's wrong with the bracken you find at the side of the road?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I agree with what has been posted -pretty much a lightweight tourer isn't going to save you that much once you're fully loaded. And Galaxy's are decent bikes to start with. But, if you really want to lighten it, consider upgrading to some lightweight components -namely a lighter crank, derailleurs, wheelset, saddle, seatpost, tyres, etc, etc. With a lot of money, you can usually lighten a bike by a kilo. The problem here will be twofold: one, the strength and durability of some lightweight parts is suspect (can't recommend you tour on lightweight radial 24 spokecount wheels for example) and two, the cost involved. Lightweight chi-chi components don't come cheaply.

Personally, unless your bike is really heavy, I'd say just ride it and enjoy it.

Top Bottom