What is the best lightweight tourer bike that can carry a full camping load?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Nigeyy said:
But, if you really want to lighten it, consider upgrading to some lightweight components -namely a lighter crank, derailleurs, wheelset, saddle, seatpost, tyres, etc, etc. With a lot of money, you can usually lighten a bike by a kilo.

You can then put two water-bottles on it and add two kilos.

Personally, unless your bike is really heavy, I'd say just ride it and enjoy it.

Yup. Focus on improving the engine, not the transmission.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you want lightweight ground insulation for short toursBTFB... check this out.
Supposed to be very comfortable, but to be honest I've never tried it.
just about light enough to go on the Bianchi....

Danny

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
Couple of kilos more like .... Have you seen his list of camping kit...? it's on another thread here somewhere....

Two camping mats - forsooth, what's wrong with the bracken you find at the side of the road?
Don't forget the portable TV ;)

CeeDee51

Nigeyy said:
I agree with what has been posted -pretty much a lightweight tourer isn't going to save you that much once you're fully loaded. And Galaxy's are decent bikes to start with. But, if you really want to lighten it, consider upgrading to some lightweight components -namely a lighter crank, derailleurs, wheelset, saddle, seatpost, tyres, etc, etc. With a lot of money, you can usually lighten a bike by a kilo. The problem here will be twofold: one, the strength and durability of some lightweight parts is suspect (can't recommend you tour on lightweight radial 24 spokecount wheels for example) and two, the cost involved. Lightweight chi-chi components don't come cheaply.

Personally, unless your bike is really heavy, I'd say just ride it and enjoy it.

Surely its easier to lighten the rider. Can't be difficult to lose a kilo;)

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
In order to tour light weight, then it is nescessarry to take up what the Americans call "credit card touring"! Yep that's right you just have a bike and a credit card! Oh and a fresh set of underwear!:becool:

JackE

Über Member
My Van Nicholas Amazon (9.5kg approx) is around 3kg lighter than my previous Holdsworth 531 tourer. May not sound a lot but the Amazon feels a lot "sprightlier" than the old fella. Titanium aficianados use very technical language to describe this "feeling" and I must admit that my previous suspicions about this type of "marketing speke" have been blown away. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. They are also around the same price as a Mercian.
I'm now half way to losing 2st. (around 13kg) of "spare tyre", which will be a huge help when touring.

clownfishrob

How about custom fitting changing a few settings might make the bike you've got more efficient to ride without spending the big bucks. Saving energy by being more efficient is as good as saving weight.

asterix

Comrade Member
This is the best light touring bike that can carry a full camping load..

DSCF0114coldeBagargui.jpg
[/IMG]

Reynolds 531, 60cm frame with o'size tubing for stiffness under load, space for up to 1.9inch mtb tyres and 'guards, mtb gears, all the bosses you need - I didn't use low riders this time as I prefer long descents without stuff on the front wheel. The descent of Tourmalet was magic.

Unladen it's a bit too stable for a lively ride but is not slow.

U

User482

JackE said:
My Van Nicholas Amazon (9.5kg approx) is around 3kg lighter than my previous Holdsworth 531 tourer. May not sound a lot but the Amazon feels a lot "sprightlier" than the old fella. Titanium aficianados use very technical language to describe this "feeling" and I must admit that my previous suspicions about this type of "marketing speke" have been blown away. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. They are also around the same price as a Mercian.
I'm now half way to losing 2st. (around 13kg) of "spare tyre", which will be a huge help when touring.

What's the maximum load for an Amazon? My recollection was that they weren't suitable for full on camping touring.

con gibbens

Best bike for cycle camping?

Mercian build beautiful bikes, no question about it - but... Some years ago wife and I decided to replace our Raleigh Royal(e)'s and invest in some hand built machines . We bought specifically a custom Vincitore frame and a King of Mercia frame. We made it clear at the time that these were to be used as pack horses for cycle camping and specified all the braze ons for carriers etc. We usually carry something in the order of 25 kilos of gear each.

With these loads we experienced severe "shimmy" on downhill runs due to flexing of the frames and pulling a Bob trailer was even worse. We still have these bikes and they are brilliant for day rides and no doubt for credit card touring but for heavy load carrying ours are definately not suitable. Maybe Mercian have changed in the intervening years.

Subsequently we invested in a pair of Orbit Romany Expedition bikes after considering Thorn and Roberts also. There were similarities and differences that caused us a great deal of thought but it was the unique assymetric rear triangles om the Orbits which permit undished rear wheels to be used which decided us because of very bad experiences earlier with spoke breakage on the Raleigh's.

The Romany's are perfect for our style of touring which sometimes involves a certain amount of off road riding whilst loaded. They were expensive but were worth it. Sadly they are no longer made but I have no doubt that Thorn and Roberts would be equally suitable. If replacing our Orbits today we would also consider the Koga Miyata.

No doubt some will disagree with our choice while others may agree. It all comes down to personal selection in the end but the opinions of others can be useful.

peejay78

i just splashed out on a fratello for light touring. it arrives january, it was an insurance replacement for a track bike, which i replaced in the meantime, so i finally get round to getting the light tourer i always wanted.

i'll let you know in january how it handles.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
peejay78 said:
i just splashed out on a fratello for light touring. it arrives january, it was an insurance replacement for a track bike, which i replaced in the meantime, so i finally get round to getting the light tourer i always wanted.

i'll let you know in january how it handles.

Mmmmmm Condor Fratello... Mmmmmmmm
If I could own one bike for all my riding tha Fratello would be it. Prices OK too.

willem

Über Member
If you want to lighten up, I think the first thing to do would be to reduce the weight of your gear. Other than for expedition touring in uninhabited parts of the world, 12-15 kilos should be enough. That is much less than what many carry, but it is possible - just look at ultralight backpackers and mountaineers. If you do this, you will not need front panniers, saving another 2-2.5 kilo on the panniers and rack themselves. It will cost some money, but not nearly as much as a high quality light weight bike. You will discover that riding suddenly becomes much more fun, and that your bike is so much more nimble.
Once you have done all this, there may be a good argument for getting a new bike, if only because your old bike may feel a bit too stiff and rigid (who knows). However, it is unlikely you will be able to save more than 2 kilo's, if at all. After all, you also want it to be reliable. Now that you have reduced your total travel weight, you may be able to fit lighter tyres on your existing bike. These will make a big difference, both because of their weight, and because of their lower rolling resistance. The latter is at least as important as weight.
If, after all this, you still want to spend money on a new bike, I would go for a custom frame with Rohloff hub. The custom frame will fit better, and shave off a little bit of weight (not much). The Rohloff will not save weight, but it is just so much better, you will never want to have anything else again. That at least was my experience. However, I would begin by taking less, and spending some money on lighter kit. You don't want to buy a new bike that is unnecessarily heavy and stiff because you are carrying the kitchen sink.
Willem

Top Bottom