What is the best lightweight tourer bike that can carry a full camping load?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

P.H said:
What size tyres can an Amazon take? They all seem to have 28 or 32mm and there doesn't seem to be clearance for much more. If you're not careful you'll end up spending a lot of money for not much difference.

I had a look at one and I think it would probably take around 35mm. Certainly a lot more clearance than my bike anyway.

JackE

Über Member
User482 said:
I had a look at one and I think it would probably take around 35mm. Certainly a lot more clearance than my bike anyway.

I'm sure the Amazon would take 36-38mm cross tyres. If you believe the Van Nick "blurb", it's designed as an audax/touring/cross bike. I suppose it
all depends on how well built your wheels are. I'm happy to stick with 32 Marathons for canal tow-paths and occasional rough tracks.

Royalrider

I think you'll find the Amazon will only take up to 32c with mud guards on. You may squeeze something larger without the guards but I would argue that if you needed larger than 32 nobbly is the Amazon the correct choice bike? The reason I went for the Amazon was to be able to use 28c for tow paths, cinder track etc. If I wanted to go on anything rougher I would use my mountain bike. Most of the other audax type bikes you may consider will only take up to 25c tyres which are just a little too 'light' for taking of tarmac.

U

User482

Royalrider said:
I think you'll find the Amazon will only take up to 32c with mud guards on. You may squeeze something larger without the guards but I would argue that if you needed larger than 32 nobbly is the Amazon the correct choice bike? The reason I went for the Amazon was to be able to use 28c for tow paths, cinder track etc. If I wanted to go on anything rougher I would use my mountain bike. Most of the other audax type bikes you may consider will only take up to 25c tyres which are just a little too 'light' for taking of tarmac.

The Amazon can be used for CX so I'm sure it's up to rougher use than tow paths. But I'll check out the clearance with 'guards, so thanks for the tip.

GrahamG

Guru
peejay78 said:

I have one of these you can borrow: :?:

Ybottom&bag.jpg

http://www.carryfreedom.com/Y-Frame.html

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Royalrider said:
For cinder tracks/tow path you will probably find 32c may well be a better choice anyway, the Amazon has clearance to allow for this on that surface, in other words it should not clog up.

The Amazon has a slightly faster geometry than your Raleigh Royal, the latter were 72 seat/72 head where as Amazon are 73/71 (using 23 ½” or 58cm as a comparison), so it will feel slightly more responsive to your effort

Paul_Smith

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
peejay78 said:
i have one on order, replacement for a stolen bob jackson, tescos gave me a voucher for halfrauds or condor. as much as i'd like 12 apollo MTBs, the lure of 1 condor just edged it.

full ultegra GS, open pro wheelset laced to ultegra hubs. bosses for rear rack, curved seatstays, compact chainset. it can rest next to condor acciaio (lightweight steel racer).

very VERY excited. arrives mid-january. france beckons.

I don't know what it is about the Fratello, but there is something just "right" about it. As an all-rounder it seems the business, take the guards off and whack-on Tribars for the summer club season and awaaaayy.
I wish it had been around when I bought my Giant.
I'd have to have a triple thpugh, can't abide compacts.

JackE

Über Member
touring

Royal Rider,
Final question, how much did your Amazon cost (inc fitting)?

Royalrider

My total cost was £1863.90. You need to take into account how you have it specced and what additional things you include. I went for 105 groupset, Fizik Arione saddle, SKS guards. 2 elite bottle holders,Tektro CR 720 cantis, and a pair of handbuilt wheels on STouring rims. within the price. This included fitting which you would get free with any purchase,£50.00 if you don't buy. If I had just bought the frame, 60cm. it would have been £880. Hope this helps.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
JackE said:
Royal Rider,
Final question, how much did your Amazon cost (inc fitting)?
It is quite straight forward to obtain an up to date price for Van Nicholas bikes, the full specification and range available can be seen on the www.vannicholas.com website, although note the prices will be in Euros ex VAT, you will need convert to Sterling (see www.travelex.co.uk for current exchange rate) and then add 15% VAT

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Or 19% VAT if ordering direct from them, which I would not advise, given my recent experience of doing so, which, frankly, became a nightmare on delivery and ruined what should have been a once in a lifetime purchase.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
New Horizon said:
Or 19% VAT if ordering direct from them, which I would not advise, given my recent experience of doing so, which, frankly, became a nightmare on delivery and ruined what should have been a once in a lifetime purchase.
Most of their UK dealers will also pay the carriage costs from Van Nicholas into the UK, that along with the lower VAT rate means it should be cheaper to buy it here in the UK than it is to buy from Van Nicholas direct.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom