Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Specialized

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Giant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canyon

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MistaDee

Try holding a wheel by the spindle, one hand on each end, and get someone to spin it. Now 'steer' it; due to gyroscopic precession the reaction is felt at 90deg to the input force.

Now try the same holding just one end of the spindle; the forces are immense trying to twist (and succeeding) the thing out of your hand.

The good news is you don't have to clamp the spindle at just one end, unless your business plan dictates that marketing gimmickry is the most important aspect of your design. Cannondale, I'm talking to you.

I think your over simplifying things and these are not engineering issues which can not be resolved and have been, high performance motorcycles have featured single sided swing arms for years and is not considered to be an issue. Likewise motorcycles with single sided front ends have also been produced such as the BMW d1200r

http://thekneeslider.com/d1200r-bmw-goes-into-limited-production/

Unconventional but by no means bad engineering imho

Bad engineering for the sake of visual novelty!

You need to have a serious word with every car manufacturer on the planet. Who'd have thunk they've been attaching their wheels wrong all this time?

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I think your over simplifying things and these are not engineering issues which can not be resolved and have been, high performance motorcycles have featured single sided swing arms for years and is not considered to be an issue. Likewise motorcycles with single sided front ends have also been produced such as the BMW d1200r

And, of course, you're entitled to that opinion!

If you have critical component like, say, the attachment hardware of a wheel; to subject it to a design that's entirely reliant on the quality of material used, purely for reasons of form, that is bad engineering.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
You need to have a serious word with every car manufacturer on the planet. Who'd have thunk they've been attaching their wheels wrong all this time?

You are being facetious. There are obvious advantages to attaching car wheel on a stub axle; those advantages are not applicable to a bicycle.

3narf

For whom the bell dings

Yes, I ride an R1200S. The swingarm/shaft drive housing is a neat, clean design, but it could have been just as strong, and much lighter, if it was a conventional 2-arm design.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
To get back to the question, and if I can go for a defunct brand, Peugeot. In earlier decades they were fairly cool, and some decades on they've just got way cooler, in my opinion at least.

Are we allowed defunct brands OP?

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
To get back to the question, and if I can go for a defunct brand, Peugeot. In earlier decades they were fairly cool, and some decades on they've just got way cooler, in my opinion at least.

Are we allowed defunct brands OP?

Yes we are. I rode the London to Brighton on a Peugeot 25 years ago. Slaughtered my mates on the then "new fangled" mountain bikes! Still bailed out on Ditchling though!

You are being facetious. There are obvious advantages to attaching car wheel on a stub axle; those advantages are not applicable to a bicycle.
Shows what you know.

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
SnowTrike.jpg

I thought the question was, which bike is the coolest........................this was feckin' freezing.

Top Bottom