What is the correct name of the seat post clamp for rack mounting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As there are no mudguard mounting points on the ROSE multi-road SL2000, I will obtain one of the seat post clamps for securing the top fitting of a rack. P clips should suffice for the bottom fitting of the stays.

Someone posted a link for these seat post clamps, but I cannot find it now on here.

Tim Hall

M Part do a seat post clamp and rack mount. Here's a link to one at st John Street Cycles. Other retailers are available.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-po...h-rack-mounts-for-318-mm-diameter-seat-tubes/

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably you mean there are nonrack mounting points rather than mudguard mounts?

They vary in size so make sure you get the right one. I reckon a traditional LBS would be able to source

Why not just use P clips top and bottom though?

Presumably you mean there are nonrack mounting points rather than mudguard mounts?

They vary in size so make sure you get the right one. I reckon a traditional LBS would be able to source

Why not just use P clips top and bottom though?

No not really. I worded it that way because if I had said no rack mounting points, someone would have said, just use the mud guard mounting points. (Probably should have said no mounting points for racks or mud guards).

I read on here that P clips could be used at one end, but was unsure if they could be used at top and bottom in respect of being secure enough. I might get 4 instead of the seat post clamp.

vickster

Legendary Member
No not really. I worded it that way because if I had said no rack mounting points, someone would have said, just use the mud guard mounting points. (Probably should have said no mounting points for racks or mud guards).

I read on here that P clips could be used at one end, but was unsure if they could be used at top and bottom in respect of being secure enough. I might get 4 instead of the seat post clamp.
I’ve used p clips top and bottom on a road frame. My genesis has p clips at the top, hass Mount point at bottom. No issue assuming this is not a carbon frame or rear triangle
Not sure how you use mudguard mounts for a rack?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I’ve used p clips top and bottom on a road frame. My genesis has p clips at the top, hass Mount point at bottom. No issue assuming this is not a carbon frame or rear triangle
Use the mudguard mounts at the bottom of the rack, then the seatpost clamp arrangement at the top.
Personally, I'd use the seatpost clamp if possible, but the P-clips all round will obviously work.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Check that the seatpost clamp is a standard pattern. My Rose has a clamp specific to the frame and I don't think one of those rack-clamps would fit.

P clips are a compromise.

You could get a rack that secures at the bottom using the quick release axle, or an adapter for a standard rack.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/tubus-adapter-set-for-quick-release-axle-mounting/

owe MUCH !!!:wacko: ^_^

Although I have never used mudguard mounts for securing (the bottom) part of a rack I would guess you would just use smaller diameter screws.

Check that the seatpost clamp is a standard pattern. My Rose has a clamp specific to the frame and I don't think one of those rack-clamps would fit.

Maybe just fit the the clamp for the rack above the one that is holding the seatpost inside the tube.
Not the best idea on a carbon seat post.

Have decided on 4 P clips, but there is always a workaround etc.

Top Bottom