What is the difference between a $5000 CF bike, and a $15,000 bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
In fact, with hindsight, I was probably spot on with the reply I made in post#2 right back at the start of the thread?

How can post #2 be at the "start" of a thread? That's like celebrating new year in February.

OP
OP
R

rydabent

Guru
So if he'd been referring to cheap Chinese carbon frames I guess he'd have been correct?

Arent all CF frames built in China. How do we know that the only difference isnt the brand name they stick on the Bike, when they are done???

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Arent all CF frames built in China.

Not all. But I think China & Taiwan cover the lion's share. And there is some manufacture scattered around Europe and the US but it's so uncommon that it tends to merit its own news story from time to time.

DogmaStu

Arent all CF frames built in China. How do we know that the only difference isnt the brand name they stick on the Bike, when they are done???

Carbotec Industrial make much of the high-end stuff in CF bike kit. They are in Taiwan.

Bike brands around the World design their frames, forks, handlebars, seat-posts etc in-house at their Home factories and then provide these blueprints to Carbotec to be made to order.

For the very high-end stuff they will also ship specific carbon sheets from the USA, Japan etc to the factory for their builds. The raw builds are then shipped back to the Home factories - Italy, for example - where they are polished, treated, painted etc by hand. There is a recent GCN video on YouTube where they visited the Pinarello factory in Italy to see the whole process from when the frames arrived from Carbotec.

Naturally, the bike brands have a close relationship and contracts with Carbotec and visit the factory to ensure quality control etc meets their requirements. No different to Foxconn making Apple phones in Taiwan - my ex used to visit the factory when she worked for Apple.

Knock-offs are generally made in different factories, on mainland China. They use a much cheaper carbon sheet material and don't have the same quality control measures nor finish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rydabent

Guru
It is a known fact that most steel or aluminum bike frames are built in china. They are all the same EXCEPT for the Mfg name on them. Why would China built CF frames be any different?

Top Bottom