What is the difference between a $5000 CF bike, and a $15,000 bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It is a known fact that most steel or aluminum bike frames are built in china. They are all the same EXCEPT for the Mfg name on them. Why would China built CF frames be any different?

:laugh:

First, you're confusing China and Taiwan (even Nixon understood that) - but we'll ignore that for the moment.

You're falling into a trap there. Just because China produces large quantities of cheap low quality tat, doesn't mean that China only produces cheap low quality tat. They're quite happy to ramp up the quality and QA ... if you're prepared to pay.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Although the world's largest bicycle brand manufacturers its alu frames in Taiwan...

Don’t feed the troll.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Is 15k all these marketing companies dare to charge? They're using pathetic old world tech. Give me something NEW!

Last edited:

froze

Über Member
Inquiring minds would like to know. That is a $15,000 CF bike

What I'm about to say will piss a lot of people off here, oh well!

The average $5,000 bike weighs about 15 pounds, but so does a $15,000 bike! So weight wise you gained nothing.

The reality is that experts note that any perceivable benefits usually peak at around $5,000, and there is not a huge difference between bikes after that.

So the difference between a $5,000 bike and a $15,000 bike is about 1% at the most!

The 2020 Tour de France winner’s bike, a Colnago V3R, costs approximately $5,000, which is fairly conservative when you think about how much a professional cyclist’s budget is.

Compare that with the average $1,200 bike sold to most people will weigh about 17 to 18 pounds, but that weight stays the same till you reach $3,000, that is due mostly to heavy low-end wheels. For $2,000 you can get a bike with Ultegra, sell the wheels, and buy better wheels, then your bike will be lighter than a $3,000 bike. A $4,000 bike will get you Dura-Ace equipped bike, but the weight still remains around 16 to 17 pounds, but again, that bike price range still gets you lower quality wheels, so selling those wheels and getting better wheels does take your weight down to 15 pounds but you spent the same money paying $4,000 and another $1000 or so for better wheels had you just spent $5,000 for a bike.

All that I said are averages and are based on road bikes only, but the formula would go into other types of bikes too, but I'm not sure of what the break-even point would be with other types of bikes. Mountain bikes may level off at some point for weight like a road bike did, but then there are wheels, like what we saw with road bikes, but there are also better suspension systems as the prices go up. But I think gravel bikes would follow a similar pattern as road bikes would.

DogmaStu

I work my butt off (if you worked your butts off is that like a double chin, a sign of being overweight? :okay: ), but cannot spare the cash on such bikes. Does that make me jealous of those who do? Not at all. It's simply the case that I do not see the benefits of spending that much. It's not for me and I could find the money if I really did want to, I'd be out on the streets with my partner kicking me out for wasting the money.

Just because you're pointing out the pointless waste of money buying something when the benefits of that significantly increased cost aren't likely to be noticed doesn't mean jealously or stalinist tendencies. It simply means your arguments explaining why you have bought such items makes no sense. If you did a better job of explaining it perhaps I'd understand your POV.

BTW I'm the same with cars I've bought. If it's good enough it's good enough. Money can always be spent, but good use of it instead of rampant consumerist attitudes makes more sense to me. Of course that's my choice and opinion, no more or less valid than yours.

Sure, your opinion and choice are perfectly valid. No one can dispute that. We all make our individual assessments in order to decide what we want and what we are prepared to pay for it.

It's the condescending manner in which you feel so self-righteous as to condemn others choices as being "pointless" and "wasting money" that is both disrespectful and incorrect.

You ask that we do a "better job" of explaining our choices to you - why? Who are you to decide that we need to justify our purchases to you? What I spend my money on and the reasons I have for doing so are none of your business. Suffice to say, that I am happy with my purchases and that should be enough for you. You are free to purchase what you want too, no justification required.

"Good enough" is subjective as you well know and what you decide is 'rampant consumerism' may not be seen as such to the same degree if at all to others.

However...just for you as a special case, I'll tell you why I spent £15k on a bicycle - especially given I had 2 others that were/are perfectly fine as is.

I was getting divorced from a cheating wife and I threw myself into my passion, cycling. I won my next 3 races in a row and, when admiring a local Pro's bike, decided I wanted to own one, at least once in my Lifetime. I sourced my bike directly from Italy, had some customisation work done and spent the money. It's a lovely machine. It does feel different to ride than my other bikes and I thoroughly enjoy riding it and looking at it. I'm not getting any performance advantages from it, it does represent the finest of fine marginal gains that I will never notice but I do not care about that. It brings me joy. It helped distract me through a difficult time. It was, essentially, a 'getting divorced present' to myself. That is enough reason for me and if you think that is a waste of money, tough. :tongue:

Also, my new Partner likes it too. :laugh:

Jameshow

Veteran
You can find bargains my focus Izalco was a pro level frame which I got for £250.

A hi mod supersix frame might be had for similar money.

Jameshow

Veteran
Quite. Some careful ebay searches will get you a top end frame, all be it a few years old. Many hardly ridden.

Exactly the more modern frames are just more aero which when your more often than not going up hill or down hill in Yorkshire isn't a great priority.

Top Bottom