What is the etiquette to try someone else's bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
rh100 said:
You can always just ask, but don't be offended if he said no.

As rh says, it does no harm to ask.

A friend lent me his quick bike for a couple of little triathlons and it could have fallen off the back of the car on the motorway as I'd not put the rack on properly. Very glad I stopped on the sliproad to check it.

I'd let you try mine Summerdays, you seem a good sort ;)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
rich p said:
I'll regard it as an opportunity to try out my stealth camping skills when she boots me out!

Whilst you are doing that, I'll come round and have the test ride then?? ;)

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Oh AND....

Always treat it the way you would your own. The Dawes got a flat because of a faulty valve so I swapped out the inner tube and replaced the spare. Yes, it would have happened whether I'd borrowed it or not but I felt it was the right thing to. (I also returned it with a bottle of the owner's tipple of choice in the rack bag.)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Debian said:
Any decent bike shop will offer a test ride.

There is no way (well only in a life or death emergency) that anyone else rides my bikes. I would never lend it to anyone, let alone a stranger.

Why? if they leave their bike with you, then what have you to worry about (unless it's a grotty battered old hackbike, but then, you can ride after them, trying theirs out in the process, ta dah!).

Actually, I was thinking about how to get a test ride on a type where they don't let you have one, such as the Boardmans at Halfrauds.

If I saw someone with one, and it was under the right circumstances, I'd ask for sure, explaining that you can't get a test ride on one normally, and hope the weren't as selfish as yourself.

I don't like overly possessive people you see - what do they think I'm going to do? and more importantly, WHO do they think I am?

My Big Brother is a bit like that about certain things and it p**es me off, I mean, he knows who I am and where I live for crying out loud!! It's quite pathetic really.

It always reminds me of a time when I saw a model of a loco that I wanted. The owner didn't even let me touch it, leaving me to wonder what he thought I was going to do with. Throw it across the room or something??
Idiot.

Debian

Mad Doug Biker said:
If I saw someone with one, and it was under the right circumstances, I'd ask for sure, explaining that you can't get a test ride on one normally, and hope the weren't as selfish as yourself.

It's not selfish, it's my choice so why do you feel the need to berate someone for exercising choice? :wacko:. If anything you're being arrogant for accusing me of being selfish. ;)

Why is it "overly possessive"? Do you think you have a god-given right to use other people's stuff?

And calling someone an idiot is even worse!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Debian said:
It's not selfish, it's my choice so why do you feel the need to berate someone for exercising choice? :wacko:. If anything you're being arrogant for accusing me of being selfish. ;)
Why is it "overly possessive"? Do you think you have a god-given right to use other people's stuff?

And calling someone an idiot is even worse!

No, but in the right circumstances, what's the problem?? Thing is, if you asked, I'd let you have a go as I'm sure most reasonable people would if it was in the right circumstances. That's the difference.

And as I've said, there are certain bikes where you can't easily get just a quick try.

Debian

Mad Doug Biker said:
No, but in the right circumstances, what's the problem?? Thing is, if you asked, I'd let you have a go, that's the difference.

That's you, I'm me. Good for you.

It's no reason to be rude and arrogant towards those of a different disposition to you though.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't be offended if they said no ... but I didn't want to ask in case just asking offended them... (if it really wasn't the done thing) and there is no way I would take it for a long test ride unless I knew them... merely a quick lap around a park/car park/up and down a road. I could go into Evan's and test ride a bike there - but to be honest I've no intention of buying it ... more to sort of test what different types of bikes feel like. Still not sure I'm going to ask my work colleague to have a go on his £2000 one:biggrin:.

I've let friends have a go on mine ... and as a result one of them changed their minds about disk brakes and has since bought a Marin - which I've tried - handlebars far far too wide for me... but he's a really good mate who I knew wouldn't take offence and he wanted to show off his new purchase.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Debian, at the end of the day, I'm the one being nice and reasonable about it fnarr fnarr!!

The main thing you need to learn is to identify what are the right circumstances.
That said, the chances of me actually asking you if I can have a ride will be very small indeed anyway!.

As I say though, there are certain bikes that you cannot easily get a test ride on, never mind just a quick few peddles.
What is someone meant to do exactly??

I wouldn't be offended if they said no either unless I knew they were just being arsey for the heck of it - I mean, what do they think I'm going to do exactly??

And also, it wouldn't be very long, merely a short bit whilst staying in full view of them.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Some people just don't like other people borrowing their bikes, and as it's a personal property that's their prerogative, but I doubt they'd be offended if you asked, they'd just say no.

What are you looking into by the way? I'm thinking of getting a cyclocross....

Debian

Wheeledweenie said:
Some people just don't like other people borrowing their bikes, and as it's a personal property that's their prerogative, but I doubt they'd be offended if you asked, they'd just say no.

+1

Top Bottom