What is the etiquette to try someone else's bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Wheeledweenie said:
Some people just don't like other people borrowing their bikes, and as it's a personal property that's their prerogative, but I doubt they'd be offended if you asked, they'd just say no.

What are you looking into by the way? I'm thinking of getting a cyclocross....

I have my ideas, but I am just waiting for enough money.

If you read my last message to Debian, I say that I wouldn't be offended unless I knew they were just being arsey for the hell of it - who do they think I am ...what do they think I'm going to do??

BUT, the big words here though are

'Under the right circumstances'.

Like I say, I have a big brother who can be a bit like that, not just to me, but to others too, and he knows who I am, what I'll be doing and where I live, etc etc.
Thing is, I have only ever asked him once or twice if I could borrow something in an emergency, and he was still so anal that he obviously didn't even trust me for some strange reason only known to himself.
It took others to eventually persuade him, which I just found terribly sad and quite needless.

So please excuse me if I seem a little terse.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That said, about 18 years ago I bought a new MTB and I was at home fettling it before the first ride when a bloke I knew vaguely from the pub strolled past with a mate. They stopped to admire the new bike and the bloke asked for a tryout - I said yes and off he went. Then his mate expressed an interest in the old bike as I was going to sell it. Could he try it out? I said yes and off he went.....

Then I realised that my old bike and my brand new £2000 bike had both disappeared down the road with two blokes I didn't know. A few anxious minutes followed before they came back!

Debian

Globalti said:
That said, about 18 years ago I bought a new MTB and I was at home fettling it before the first ride when a bloke I knew vaguely from the pub strolled past with a mate. They stopped to admire the new bike and the bloke asked for a tryout - I said yes and off he went. Then his mate expressed an interest in the old bike as I was going to sell it. Could he try it out? I said yes and off he went.....

Then I realised that my old bike and my brand new £2000 bike had both disappeared down the road with two blokes I didn't know. A few anxious minutes followed before they came back!

Mad Doug Biker said:
Which is why I'd stay within view. I'm not going to go for a big long ride, just a few peddles to get the general feel of it, that's all.

But if I don't really know you how would I know you're only going for a few pedals? You could say what you liked but once you were in the saddle you could be off.

On the converse, "a few pedals" isn't enough anyway to get the feel of a different bike. Then you'd need to adjust the saddle, etc, etc. So what does a quick ride gain you?

Debian

Mad Doug Biker said:
Ah, but if I was wearing a Cycle Chat jumper and you knew who I was on here, and I tried anything, you'd only have to send Greedo and co round to sort me out! :laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't wish Greedo on anyone! :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Lookin' at your profile, I doubt there would really be anything there that I'd want to try anyway (or something that I couldn't get a test ride somewhere) .....but that's not the point! :laugh::laugh:

Annnyway, moving swiftly on!

Debian

Mad Doug Biker said:
Lookin' at your profile, I doubt there would really be anything there that I'd want to try anyway (or something that I couldn't get a test ride somewhere) .....but that's not the point! :laugh::laugh:

So why say it?? :laugh:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Wheeledweenie said:
What are you looking into by the way? I'm thinking of getting a cyclocross....

Not looking specifically ... still got to get Mr Summerdays his next bike ... but just interested in riding different bikes to see how they differ and see what I would like in a next bike - or understand why people like a particular type of bike. So bikes I would like to try include a drop handled bike, single speed, recumbent, tandam, cargo bike (I think I'm saying I want Arch's job - get to try out different types of bikes:biggrin:).

Mad Doug Biker said:
Get a few rides?
Naughty:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
Nah. We were both touting for business on Saturday morning and decided that 'amateur embalming' was a better option...:laugh:

Nice Dougxx( sad Debian :laugh:

It's nice to be helpful.

Shouldn't that read 'amateur empalming':ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
FWIW, I lend and borrow bikes to and from friends if one of us finds us with a mechanical. My son always takes my carbon when he's down and leaves me with the ally.
I suppose that means Mrs rich p is off the rental market but I'll reassess the situation should anyone get desperate.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd generally let someone have a go if I knew them, or if I had a fair amount of confidence they'd be back with it. F'rinstance, Plax had a go on my carbon bike the first time I met her. Mind you, I was on her Galaxy at the time, so it's not like either of us was risking a lot. Dalestar went on my old Brommie (just before it was stolen, but he had a good alibi!!) and I've lent my old Deawoo to a bloke at work. Mind you, I'd be almost pleased if that got stolen...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I say!!! :biggrin:
I'll be getting the daewoo shuttle back soon, as it's erstwhile user didn't get on with it.
The phrase 'did my back in' may have been used. The phrase 'worthless pile of sh1te' probably should have been.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TheDoctor said:
I say!!! :biggrin:
I'll be getting the daewoo shuttle back soon, as it's erstwhile user didn't get on with it.
The phrase 'did my back in' may have been used. The phrase 'worthless pile of sh1te' probably should have been.

A bit ungrateful calling you that after you'd lent him a bike;)

Top Bottom