What is the furthest you have ridden on a three speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
Did LEJOG on a 3 speed in 2011 avg. 103 miles a day for 10 days. It was my only road bike at the time probably wouldn't do it again but only because I have other bikes to choose from.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Last time I rode a 3-speed was over 40 years ago, a Raleigh RSW16 I think. It had a little tartan top box on the back and I'd be sent to the chippy or the Chinese (2 miles away) on it.
Great memories!

rsw.jpg

GC

Profpointy

Legendary Member
About 46 very hilly miles with all my gear for a weekend away with caving kit, which included two lamps - which in those days weight 6lbs each. Mind you it was only a single speed by the end of the trip, so perhaps doesn't count ! I pushed it up quite a few hills too. Cardiff to Penwyllt in the Swansea valley, up the A470 too - though bikes are no longer allowed on it for some reason !

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
End of last summer i did a 10 mile TT, After my rear shifter broke, i only had the use of the front derallier, and was only a couple of minutes of my previous time.:laugh:

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Thanks guys for all your comments, think I best get some practise in, just need to decide which distance to do think the shortest is 14 miles and the longest 52 miles.

Going to do it on this which I am just finishing, unless I end up with another before July...

hercules commuter.jpg

About 40 miles.
The back cable to the derailleur snapped so was left with the front triple.
Luckily it defaulted low so I was still able to keep going.
But when your three gears are 28"-21"-12.5" you don't need to go fast before you spin out.
It was a long day .......... :tongue:

Long ago in a different universe a 3 speed was often used in place of a single fixed for up to 24 hour time trial events , My 86 year old neighbour rode 200 plus mile 12 hour time trials using one in his twenties .

There are 2 limiting factors with a SA 3 speed
First is your own fitness and the second is how you sort out the gearing with a 25%/ 33% difference in gears from second gear the main problem is selecting the middle gear to become a ridable gear by changing sprockets to suit ,then you have a high that is too high for much except going downhill and a bottom gear that is just too high to be usable , If the top gear is made as the ridable gear you have two usable gears for when the going get tough ,

There were some narrow ratio 3 speeds that are better suited to normal riding ( NOT THE normal AW ) take a look at Sheldon Browns site for more information that might help choose the right combination

regards emma

tyred

Legendary Member
74 miles on a 70s gas-pipe road frame that I converted to 3 speed.
63 miles on a sit up and beg roadster.

KneesUp

Guru
I used to ride "around the block" on my 3-speed Raleigh Commando (a 10% smaller Raleigh 20, with a seat likke a Chopper) after school. I used to get in about 30 laps between school and tea, which is about 12 miles it turns out.

No doubt I'd be playing computer games instead now :smile:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="TheCyclingRooster, post: 3456580, member: 6240"
In those days one could ride through the Queensway Tunnel (old Mersey Tunnel) before 07:00hrs as I recall.[/QUOTE]

Mersey Tunnel regs (Current)

Bicycles:
Through the Queensway Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6:00am to 8:00pm, Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 8:00pm on Saturday and 8:00am to 9:00pm on Sunday

respect !.

I had one of those - it was hard work cycling round the park. I upgraded to what I would now consider a ropey pub bike - and it was a big upgrade too
And it was hilly too! I was probably about 13 and cycled to Abinger Hammer as part of where I was going. I can remember my house keys falling out of my pocket on a downhill, braking, and then un-braking rather quickly as I nearly went over the handlebars. I had a long walk back uphill to find them.

Bodhbh

Guru
I think it's more about what hills you're gonna encounter on the route than the distance per se. I do the 20mile round trip commute on my Raleigh 20 around once a week, but there's already a couple of hills that give me greif and that puts me off longer rides round here where they're may be many more. Otherwise I see no reason not to do double or triple on it (famous last words). I'd find some hills to ride on it of similar toughness to what you're liable to encounter and see how you get on.

Top Bottom