What is the furthest you have ridden on a three speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In the 70s I'd regularly ride down to Narborough to meet up with the Sutton twins and then we'd go off for the day and cover 40-50 miles (me on my 3 speed and them on racing bikes)
Later on I used to nick borrow my Cousins Carlton and then I could leave em for dead. :biggrin: Good for training on those heavy old bikes.

U

User42423

Didn't you have the same gear as your fixed available, @User42423, or is it a joke? :-/

No, certainly not a joke. Quite serious!. In some cases, fixed gear is easier to use than multiple free-wheel.

Mark Lawless

Interesting thread.

I had myself convinced that I rode three speeds for miles when I was a kid, but actually, while I did go everywhere on my bike, it was never that far. Secondary school was in a town six miles away and that being the case, a lot of my pals lived there, so the bike was handy for visiting them and messing about - going fishing, exploring the local mines (lots of punctures) etc, but never any great distance. I had the ten speed Stratos less than a month, when I was off on holidays a good 60 miles away.

Maybe I'll venture out once I get this Grifter sorted - but I'm 34 years older and weigh about twice as much now, so that might not go too well!!

Cumisky

I did 50 on my Vindec Atlantic last week across a range of surfaces ranging from cobble through to forest track, with everything in between and found it remarkably comfortable and no more tiring than on my geared bikes.
I also recently did 100 on a single speed mtb with some serious climbs on the route.
I'm not fit, fast or young, far from it, but I do believe that a large part of a distance challenge is mental, if you think you can do it, your legs will go along fro the ride, even if they do complain occasionally.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg My longest ride was 106 miles solo, 15.9 mph/average. All pretty flat with no stops ridden on my old heavy steel Enic Pordoi winter bike. The bike was an eBay buy for £126 but is a bit big (advertised as a 54cm but actually 56cm).

*** Oops wrong thread!, my bike has 16 gears!

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
300 miles Ipswich-Harwich-Noordwijkhout-Soest-Dordrecht-Hoek van Holland-Bury St Eds just over a month ago. OK, quite long breaks in that, but still a three speed tour... Dutchie went Dutch!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes!

36 miles on a BSA folding shopper. Next week ... 54 miles!

Where you going?

Shiner-W

As a teenager did Harpenden to Brighton return in a day several times on a Higgins Ultralight Track Bike with a S/A three speed hub. It had wooden rims and Tubs so was quite quick. Also rode to Lyme Regis to get to the Scouts Camp. Have Great memories of sleeping in a Bus Shelter in the pouring rain.

Top Bottom