What is the furthest you have ridden on a three speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
In the early 1970s when I was 15 i rode with 2 friends to chapel St leonards on the east coast from Sheffield for about 90 miles each way on a sturmy archer 3speed equiped Hurcules. Parents let their kids do that sort of thing in those days. My mates had the luxury of 5 derailers but it didn't seem to help them much. We camped on the sand dunes illegally for two nights to save money and rode home bank holiday Monday. It took about 11 hours each way and I remember being completly knackered climbing the final hill to our house.
Top gear started slipping after that , I think some sand might have got in the gear hub.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've ridden 22 miles on a '68 3 speed thing with rod brakes and a lot of rust.
And I've done a 10 day tour on a Brompton, but that had 6 gears. Not that the top 2 were any use to me...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I rode about 50 miles on one last year but nothing too steep on that route. It's now in bits while I refurbish it but should be back together soon.

Does anyone else hear ticking when they stop? I've bought a little mini music player to avoid that happening again!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
To be fair, the number and type of gears is not of huge importance. The frame and wheels make the real difference. Some of the mileages claimed upthread on proper silly bikes are impressive, three-speed or whatever.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to ride from Thorpe St Andrew, just outside Norwich, to Great Yarmouth quite regularly in the summer hols. Obviously back again for tea. Sometimes I used to ride to Happisburgh or to Sea Palling for a day out too.
I had a much loathed Raleigh Twenty 3 speed.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I did a 110 mile round trip from Darlington to Pickering traction engine rally back in 1974 when I was in my teens on a Sun three speed derailleur racing bike. I had to get off and push the bike up Sutton Bank and the long drag from Helmsley to Sutton Bank on the return leg was a royal pain. I could barely walk for three days afterwards. My longest ride prior to the Pickering ride was a modest 24 miles to Richmond, N. Yorks. and back from Darlington.

paddypete

50 miles on a chopper,over the campsie hills,2 off the easyist gears did not work,but i was young and dumb

U

User42423

Not sure where to post this, but intrigued to find out the sort of distances that people have ridden on a three speed?

Looking at training to do a ride on one in the summer, but not sure of a practical distance.

Garry

Hi Garry. In 2010 I cycled from London to Brighton on a circa 1910 Sparkbrook gents roadster (with a friend on Penny Farthing). 63 miles in eight hours. NEVER AGAIN ON A THREE SPEED. I Always do it on fixed wheel now, much easier!!!.

Top Bottom