What is the point of fixed or single speed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just jim

Sounds like by belt driven rohlhoff hubbed bike.
The difference perhaps being both price and mechanical simplicity.
One thing I would suggest fixed/ freewheel cyclists have in common is the appreciation of a decent pie :hugs:

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
horridly steep hills i try to tack .
ooh, pet hate of mine....get up or get off!:biggrin:

DaveS

It's simple really. Riding a bike with gears I am concentrating on what the bike is telling me. Riding SS I am concentrating on what my body is telling me. Just a question of which you prefer I guess.

noodle

So low to maintain and a good training bike . Sounds a good reason to me !
Right I'm holding you personally responsible for this as based on that I bought one on impulse today
Wife was dropping some dresses off at a shop she makes them for and nearby was a cash converters I went in to look at fishing stuff ( I like older reels ok) and there was this bike staring at me with puppy eyes

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Rode fixed since 2008 and only the last 2 years have I gone back to gears. However IMO and it could be all in hte mind but I feel my cycling has improved alot my pedeling technique is much improved. My legs are stronger and can go nearly as fast as my geared on the commute. Now that the weather is on the turn and its darker in the mornings, the fixed will be out most of the time. Its the perfect winter commuter IMO but others will/may disagree. As for all that Zen like feeling, for me its not about that, it just keeps you fit and honest as there ain`t know free wheeling !

D

Deleted member 1258

Rode fixed since 2008 and only the last 2 years have I gone back to gears. However IMO and it could be all in hte mind but I feel my cycling has improved alot my pedeling technique is much improved. My legs are stronger and can go nearly as fast as my geared on the commute. Now that the weather is on the turn and its darker in the mornings, the fixed will be out most of the time. Its the perfect winter commuter IMO but others will/may disagree. As for all that Zen like feeling, for me its not about that, it just keeps you fit and honest as there ain`t know free wheeling !

I commute on fixed all year round.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Right I'm holding you personally responsible for this as based on that I bought one on impulse today
Wife was dropping some dresses off at a shop she makes them for and nearby was a cash converters I went in to look at fishing stuff ( I like older reels ok) and there was this bike staring at me with puppy eyes
Well...let's have a pic.

noodle

its on the show us your fixie thread hang on ill link to it

Further to this post
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wh...ed-or-single-speed.159578/page-3#post-3317817

This will be mine over the next couple of days/weeks as I only had 30 quid on me
Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; background-image: url(http://www.cyclechat.net/styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 50% 0%; background-repeat: repeat-x;">
  • 58404-5d9e88a8990c69aaab6b4948844ef111.jpg
    image.jpg
    File size:
    132.1 KB
    Views:

i do try and keep stuff in the right place rather than clog threads up you know:tongue:
but it did call out to me in certain ways, im not quite sure why it caught my eye:cycle:

noodle

Hope you enjoy it!! Colour scheme is a bit lairy for my taste, but it's not me riding it.
The colour may prove useful
It's going to be a rough and ready thin for runs to the shops and rides where leaving 500-1000 quids worth of bike outside...
Plus being a safety conscious individual I'm sure it will be noticed by people I want to notice me
Another who would want to nick it
The 80 quid price means it's cheap enough to use and abuse

What's an urban fixie? Read the term here and seeing that's the sad name of the bike I thought I'd ask, guessing it's a sales name for something cheap to make it more saleable

noodle

£80? Bargain!!:thumbsup:
Since I've got a purple fixed with purple tyres, I am perhaps unreliable on the topic of colours...
Looking online they are only about 200 to your door
But this year is proving to be a bit of a midlife crisis with bikes
Last time I road anything with wheels so skinny I was 12 and had a puch sprint 5 speed and eventually turned the bars upside down since then it's been 26 inch and a minimum of 1.7 inch tyres but normally 1.95 or 2.2s with hydraulic discs. The puch was the last bike I had with rim brakes that were not cantis

Top Bottom