What is the worst bike you have ever bought? And be honest!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
Can't say I've had a really bad bike to myself. I buy bikes to sell on and the heavy, cheap dual suspension bikes always seem pointless to me! I don't even bother with them nowadays.

AndyRM

XOXO
A kid I taught had one and got over 40mph out of it. He was passing a car, which was itself doing 40mph, down Lobley Hill when he got a speed wobble and down he went. The scars on one side of his face were spectacular! Not the sharpest knife in the box that lad!

F*ck me. Laddies lucky to be alive!!!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Pearson frame I bought off vickster. I was chuffed when I built it up - I just couldn't dial it in, it had different geometry to usual off the peg stuff.

I loaned and when I got it back I tried again with a different style of build, hated and sold it.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
[QUOTE 2904301, member: 259"]I had one for a bit and hated it. I sold it to my brother and it's sat unused in his garage for years.

Blimey, Greg! I got an MK I Chopper, but it was second-hand. This was Not A Good Thing at first, but after a few days it transpired that all the kids with MK II ones couldn't do wheelies for love nor money.:becool:

I then had a one piece-at-a-time Raleigh 'racer' c/o an uncle who was a fitter at Raleigh, and which must have cost my parents a few pints and quite a few packet of Woodbines, and then a lovely Carlton Corsa which I treated like crap, rode hundreds (or more likely thousands) of miles without a puncture repair kit, and never cleaned (apart from riding through fords). Nicked the minute I moved to Manc. :sad:[/quote]
Sirrus sport is a bad bike?? The only problem I have with it is I have only owned it for 1 month I have done 1000 miles on it and the freewheel is rusted and skips gears

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
I am not pulling your leg at all. I work now in the city of London, lots of bikes obviously and many are specializeds. I like to have something different nowadays...
I got my bike back from a service and they said the freewheel is rusty and worn and I have only own it for a month.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I suppose (getting the bike you covet) & the finding it's not as good as you imagined, might be like meeting your hero & finding out that he/she is an arse.
Ok. Here goes. I was an ungrateful wretch, fair enough. It wasn't a Mk I Chopper like all my mates got the year before. It look great. People kept trying to nick it. It tried several times to emasculate me. It was s***e to ride. It was really s***e to ride fast. It was terrifyingly s***e to ride fast downhill. It was water soluble. By the time I was a year older no one wanted to be seen dead on a chopper, a growth spurt meant I was 6' 2" and looked ridiculous riding it, and I wanted a 10-speed Carlton, and what I got given was a second hand Raleigh Olympus. (Which was brilliant btw)

vickster

Legendary Member
That's completely unacceptable on a premium brand bike that's a month old IMO

Kick up a big stink

I did 3000 miles on my Giant roadbike and nothing needed replacing apart from tyres and a few inner tubes. Granted it was an £800 RRP bike but even so (roadbikes cost more than an equivalent flatbar)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I suppose (getting the bike you covet) & the finding it's not as good as you imagined, might be like meeting your hero & finding out that he/she is an arse.
I am related by marriage to my hero. Which is a bit weird. But he's one of the loveliest people on the planet

MarkF

Guru
2011 Specialized Sirrus. I've always done my own maintenance and am not cack handed with tools but I couldn't touch that bike without something breaking, falling off or disintegrating. I owned it for about 1 month and 1000 miles, by the end it looked like a 5 year old bike. Cables stretched, every screw head I'd touched had melted, every bolt had rounded off, lacquer from the black spokes came off and the frame lacquer followed in sympathy.

Fundamentally is was a good bike, it did what I bought it for and did it well, but, wow, it was cheap.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
That's completely unacceptable on a premium brand bike that's a month old IMO

Kick up a big stink

I did 3000 miles on my Giant roadbike and nothing needed replacing apart from tyres and a few inner tubes. Granted it was an £800 RRP bike but even so (roadbikes cost more than an equivalent flatbar)
Good go
2011 Specialized Sirrus. I've always done my own maintenance and am not cack handed with tools but I couldn't touch that bike without something breaking, falling off or disintegrating. I owned it for about 1 month and 1000 miles, by the end it looked like a 5 year old bike. Cables stretched, every screw head I'd touched had melted, every bolt had rounded off, lacquer from the black spokes came off and the frame lacquer followed in sympathy.

Fundamentally is was a good bike, it did what I bought it for and did it well, but, wow, it was cheap.
I only use the bike to ride to work 5 days a 12 miles there back and forth. Do you think I need to upgrade the parts like freewheel etc etc?

MarkF

Guru
Good go
I only use the bike to ride to work 5 days a 12 miles there back and forth. Do you think I need to upgrade the parts like freewheel etc etc?

I would not say so, the bike took huge abuse carrying luggage down road and trails for a 1000 mile trip without any mechanical issue. It was small components and the finish quality that was shockingly poor.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A buddy of mine bought a £99 special for his girlfriend and asked me to try to adjust the brakes from him. The quality was so shite that despite being a competent bodger I actually couldn't get the brakes to work, what a shocker.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A kid I taught had one and got over 40mph out of it. He was passing a car, which was itself doing 40mph, down Lobley Hill when he got a speed wobble and down he went. The scars on one side of his face were spectacular! Not the sharpest knife in the box that lad!

:smile: suicidal f/ng lunatic coming down there more like, far too busy.

Swalwell Bank out of Whickham (with its emergency escape road and vine growing petrol station - is that still there?) or dropping out of Winlaton into Blaydon were way more fun. Getting up there in the first place tho.......

Top Bottom