What is the worst mpg car you have owned (or borrowed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I bet you used to rev them up just to annoy every one ^_^
Nope, but did enjoy playing in the snow :laugh:

I had an X pack RS2000 that i fitted twin Weber 48's to, modded the cam and generally squeezed what i could out of it. It was a gallons to the mile machine after that:ohmy:

Also modded my previous Audi RS4 with some help from Sportek and that averaged around 15ltrs p/100km (19mpg) but could easily get down to 22ltrs p/100 (13mpg).

Since i've grown up i now boast about "how far i can get on a single tank" :laugh:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I had a 5.3 V12 Jaguar XJS back in 1990, I think it averaged around 14mpg but it had an onboard computer showing current mpg, if you really booted it then it would drop to around 7mpg!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I can only comment on company vehicles I've driven:

Kia Cee'd - 1.6 diesel, This thing just wasted fuel in return for no performance benefits, lucky if it averaged 35mpg no matter how carefully and miserly you drove the thing.

keithmac

Guru
My GTO Twin Turbo on flat knacker would do 4.8l per minute (just over a Gallon a minute), wouldn't drive it like that on the road though!.

Saw 3mpg on instant reading in our 2.0l Diesel Kuga towing the caravan up a hill once, made me laugh.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
In the 80's I had a hard top Toyota Crown coupe automatic. Straight 6, or 8, I can't be for sure.
It went like faecal matter off a flat bladed digging implement!
It should have had a twin speed fuel gauge, and a towing hook for a fuel bowser!

View attachment 547056

I gave it to some friends when I bought a cheaper car to run (if you can call a Triumph Stag 'cheap to run' :laugh:)

I had a Stag too, loved it. When I once worked it out I got about 18 to the gallon out of it.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've never owned a car that did less than 35mpg, that one was a 1.3l Vauxhall Nova. Pre unleaded and catalysers it was astonishingly quick for the size of engine and I used to properly make it go, but always under the speed limit occifer.
Next was a 1.6; Renault Scenic which was a lovely car and would top 40mpg on a run.
The worst car we had was Lady Byegad's Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 'E' for economy which was an offence against the Trades Description Act. Averaging 35mpg on a sedate long run, it would go firmly sub 30mpg if driven with even a modicum of enthusiasm.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've never owned a car that did less than 35mpg, that one was a 1.3l Vauxhall Nova. Pre unleaded and catalysers it was astonishingly quick for the size of engine and I used to properly make it go, but always under the speed limit occifer.
Next was a 1.6; Renault Scenic which was a lovely car and would top 40mpg on a run.
The worst car we had was Lady Byegad's Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 'E' for economy which was an offence against the Trades Description Act. Averaging 35mpg on a sedate long run, it would go firmly sub 30mpg if driven with even a modicum of enthusiasm.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Mazda RX-8. If driven over 'good' miles it would eke out 25 mpg. If driven over an urban/suburban commute it was around 18mpg. I spent a lot of time in fuel stations but that aside it was a really good car for the three years I had it (from new).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ten yearsago, we rented a Chevvy Impala to drive up Highway 101 from San Francisco to Vancouver. It certainly had a thirst. A little over 20mpg. Fortunately, petrol prices were ludicrously low compared to the UK and awareness of Climate Change was a bit sketchy. Great fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

An old Hyundai Getz 1.3, lovely car, went well but the tin worm got it in the end, driven with a light right foot about 35 mpg rising to 40mpg on a long run, driven enthusiastically it would drop to around 30mpg.

Top Bottom