What is the worst mpg car you have owned (or borrowed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My former father in law gave me and the former Mrs Accy his beloved Ford Granada in 1997. It was 12 years old, if that's relevant. It slurped up petrol like billyo! It was a big monstrosity that i found hard to drive (never been a big car fan) and just too expensive to drive. :thumbsdown:
It probably had the 2.9 litre v6 in it or maybe even the cosworth v6.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No,it was quite a small engine for the size of the car. I remember the father in law saying so. Could it have been a 1300cc engine? Probably not,maybe 1600cc? 🤔

I had a Mini 850 that drank just a little less fuel than a Mini Clubman 1275 GT i had. Mind you,i was always gentle on the accelerator peddle with the Clubman.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I remember when the Audi A4 was first released (1996 perhaps), the company had a 1.8T petrol, it always stuck me how heavy on fuel that was

gbb

Legendary Member
My former father in law gave me and the former Mrs Accy his beloved Ford Granada in 1997. It was 12 years old, if that's relevant. It slurped up petrol like billyo! It was a big monstrosity that i found hard to drive (never been a big car fan) and just too expensive to drive. :thumbsdown:
No,it was quite a small engine for the size of the car. I remember the father in law saying so. Could it have been a 1300cc engine? Probably not,maybe 1600cc? 🤔

I had a Mini 850 that drank just a little less fuel than a Mini Clubman 1275 GT i had. Mind you,i was always gentle on the accelerator peddle with the Clubman.
Probably a 2 ltr. We had a Rover 800 with (IIRC) a 1.8ltr petrol engine in, gutless and heavy on fuel. What happens is the engine just doesnt have the grunt and it become uneconomical as a result Same would apply with a Granada with a smallish engine in it.

Land Rover 101 forward control, for a short while at 12mpg. View attachment 547152

A friend had a 101FC for a while, it was great fun!!!
Scaring the bejesus out of B*W drivers, even minicab drivers:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My shed of a 2A light-weight too

Brads

I had a celica GT4 that was running the thick end of 400 bhp.
I took it out one day for a proper drive and managed 3 mpg over a complete tank of fuel. Drained it in 70 miles.

tyred

Legendary Member
My uncle had a Porsche 924 (well he still has, he just took it too bits and has left it scattered all over garage but that's another story). The engine had been worked on by a previous owner and was in a high state of tune and the car could fly, far faster than it should have been. I borrowed it once and although I didn't measure the fuel consumption it was horrible, probably about 15mpg if driven with mild enthusiasm.

Otherwise, I had a 2l Cortina years ago which was pretty thirsty too but I suppose I was driving with "youthful enthusiasm."

gbb

Legendary Member
Dad owned a Vandem Plas Princess with a 4 litre Rolls Royce engine, that was a guzzler.
I remember going into a car breakers yard in Notts in the mid 1970s and there sat a hulking great Rolls Royce engine near the office. It never occured to me they were fitted in other cars.

Top Bottom