What is the worst mpg car you have owned (or borrowed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just reflecting on that post by @biggs682 about the Jensen Interceptor. I googled it to see the 6 Ltr returned just 13 mpg.
Years ago a friend loaned me a big engined Jaguar. I don't know the mpg but swear that as I drove along the M62 I could see the needle on the gauge dropping.
@Drago ......I think you said, yours is a guzzler ??

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Nothing like as low as these, but had a couple of petrol Subarus that only got low to mid 30mpg which I didn't consider great. Loved them though.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I had a MK1 Land Rover Discovery V8 once. I brought it because occasionally im a bloody idiot... MPG = :wacko: Oh and any "official figures" on MPG are just damned lies.

I also had a Jaguar XJR TWR 4.0. Absolutely lovely car! But MPG unfortunately didn't really improve. I learned my lesson there didnt i!?

Seriously though, i didn't buy/swap for these motors for their MPG. You sort of know what you're getting yourself into.

Settled down these days though. I've lost nearly all my interest in cars. The roads are full of suspension destroying potholes and honestly, driving these days for me is just not very enjoyable. Im more connected with the world on a bicycle...

Drago

Legendary Member
My old 7 series, and E38. When accelerating hard it could drop to about 0.4 MPG, which works out as a gallon every 640 metres. Driven like Mother Theresa it would do 23mpg.

The worst average MPG was my Rover 3500 (P6 V8), which did about 14 to the gallon - thats american large V8 territory.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My old 7 series, and E38. When accelerating hard it could drop to about 0.4 MPG, which works out as a gallon every 640 metres. Driven like Mother Theresa it would do 23mpg.

The worst average MPG was my Rover 3500 (P6 V8), which did about 14 to the gallon - thats american large V8 territory.
A mate of mine had the E32 5 litre v12. He got rogered daily with that thing...

D

Deleted member 26715

Nothing like as low as these, but had a couple of petrol Subarus that only got low to mid 30mpg which I didn't consider great. Loved them though.
Don't know how you managed that, ours was always just over 20mpg if you drove like a granddad, or just under 20mpg if you drove like a hooligan. Worst was my boss's AMG SL500 F1 pack 5.0L V8, it was easy to get 9mpg,

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
In the 80's I had a hard top Toyota Crown coupe automatic. Straight 6, or 8, I can't be for sure.
It went like faecal matter off a flat bladed digging implement!
It should have had a twin speed fuel gauge, and a towing hook for a fuel bowser!

I gave it to some friends when I bought a cheaper car to run (if you can call a Triumph Stag 'cheap to run' :laugh:)

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Don't know how you managed that, ours was always just over 20mpg if you drove like a granddad, or just under 20mpg if you drove like a hooligan. Worst was my boss's AMG SL500 F1 pack 5.0L V8, it was easy to get 9mpg,
Wasn't the sporty one. Can't remember the model of the first one, then an estate for the second. Whatever was before the Legacy.

Top Bottom