What is this fascination with hill climbing??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a gravitationally challenged type, I think some people love hills so they can show off their prowess. Sort of mine's bigger than yours.
I've ridden with people who dawdle at the bottom of any climb because that allows them to leave me by a bigger margin than if they let me charge it. I don't ride with them anymore if I can help it but when I do I get ahead before the climb if I can. Funnily enough they don't like that!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think a similar route was in CW last week. Ruthin - Llangollen and back, Horseshoe Pass, Worlds End and over towards Mold.
*wonders if Hertfordshire - Llangollen too far to travel for bike ride on Sunday*

Tetedelacourse

Like HlaB I prefer going up to coming down. I think it's cos the thought seems to routinely cross my mind as I hit 45mph that if something breaks on my bike, I'm probably a goner. Plus there is something quite meditational about climbing, as Dan says. I am probably one of the worst climbers about but I like it!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I detested hills when I first got back into cycling, basically cos my legs weren't up to it. No really massive hills where I am, but lots of long slow climbs. Now, I can genuinely say I enjoy the challenge at the time, and the feeling of accompishment after. :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
To be fair there are a few steepish ones around here but nothing really to write home about.

surfgurl

I live on the edge of the Somerset levels. I have two inclines on my commute; one a bridge over a railway, another over the M5.
However, Cheddar Gorge is just down the road...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
surfgurl said:
I live on the edge of the Somerset levels. I have two inclines on my commute; one a bridge over a railway, another over the M5.

Road humps then.......:biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
To be fair there are a few steepish ones around here but nothing really to write home about.
I write home about this local one twice a year!

[NB Flickr seems to default to playing the slideshow in reverse order so select the rightmost picture at the bottom of the screen, then click on the left-facing 'play' button on the bottom left]

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I like hills much more since I bought a bike with a triple. I suddenly saw them as a challenge instead of a hindrance and now I relish them!! I'm still like death at the top though...but generally I'll get to the top!

mondobongo

Über Member
I like that opportunity to zone out just you and the bike, after a couple of years going at them like the clappers have learnt control and to pedal at a comfortable cadence knowing I will get to the top at some time.

longers

Legendary Member
dan_bo said:
For me it's a meditation. When it's good the rhythms of a long, hard climb evoke a tribal drumbeat 'bumbiddybum' in me heed and I get almost transcendental as I edge towards the summit. Unless it's winnats, In which case I just feel a bit sick and want to get off.

I'm feeling sick now just thinking about Winnats. The Isle of Skye* is a good hill, I find it quite exhilarating when approaching from Snoopys to descend it, when it opens up in front of you it gets the adrenaline flowing.

*was it you who described it as this? I'm almost sure it was. Why is it called that though?

Monst

I live in the Forest of Dean, and I hate hills. Being of the build where gravity is an advantage going downhill, one has to get used to going up on a bike. The scenery is fantastic, but if you need to go anywhere on a bike then a hill is involved. However, after climbing a few continental climbs such as Ventoux, Tormelet etc then what we have here and what you have where you live (in the UK) is not a hill. Nothing in this country is in the same league. Hills here are a state of mind, abroad you get a lot longer to think about your state of mind.

Top Bottom