What is this fascination with hill climbing??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

will

I LOVE hill climbing

I did Ventoux three times last year and drove down each time (that may be the definition of a hill climbing fanatic - and someone with a lovely wife support driver)

I live in the Alps so that helps but:

I love the challenge. I love the ever improving views. I love the silence.
I love the lack of cars. I love the Hairpins. I love the ride.

173329800_b1d7d20551.jpg

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Will. now thats a hill ;)

yenrod

TheDoctor said:
I think a similar route was in CW last week. Ruthin - Llangollen and back, Horseshoe Pass, Worlds End and over towards Mold.
*wonders if Hertfordshire - Llangollen too far to travel for bike ride on Sunday*

One meaty area that.

Theres a climb round that way called 'the rainbow' - never rode it but car'd it a few tmes on way to MTBing in Clocaenogg forest and beyond.

Its got quite an incline, open and WIDE, like a hills a hill but when they're WIDE it just feel a whole LOT WORSE :biggrin:

Though theres similiar on the A49 going south.

bonj2

User482 said:
On the MTB, I enjoy the technical challenge of getting up a muddy climb without slipping. On the road bike, I do think you get a real buzz from getting to the top of a long or difficult climb. You then get to rest and admire the view, and then have the fast downhill to look forward to.
i enjoy uphill offroads more than i used to, but i didn't used to be able to do 'em much at all 'cos i wasn't that fit whereas i'm not bad now.

What I don't enjoy is going downhill on the MTB on the road, 'cos it's 'a waste', or going downhill on the roadbike but on a really crap road surface, it takes the fun out of it.

byegad said:
As a gravitationally challenged type, I think some people love hills so they can show off their prowess. Sort of mine's bigger than yours.
you don't say...:rolleyes:;)

will said:
I LOVE hill climbing

I did Ventoux three times last year and drove down each time (that may be the definition of a hill climbing fanatic - and someone with a lovely wife support driver)
:biggrin: :ohmy: Now you definitely ARE a pervert. :thumbsup:

Keith Oates

Janner
I used to have a good climb near the end of my commute when in Vietnam, one day I was tired and struggling a little bit going up the hill when I saw the shadow of someone trying to overtake, it's amazing how you find the extra energy to fight off the challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Keith Oates said:
I used to have a good climb near the end of my commute when in Vietnam, one day I was tired and struggling a little bit going up the hill when I saw the shadow of someone trying to overtake, it's amazing how you find the extra energy to fight off the challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wasn't this chap, was it? :biggrin:;)
_38471239_cyclist150_afp.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
longers said:
I'm feeling sick now just thinking about Winnats. The Isle of Skye* is a good hill, I find it quite exhilarating when approaching from Snoopys to descend it, when it opens up in front of you it gets the adrenaline flowing.

*was it you who described it as this? I'm almost sure it was. Why is it called that though?

the isle of skye was a pub near the farm at the top that got taken down years ago. It is my favourite climb though- like you say when you come ovbert the summit from hudds side and it opens up in front of you.......*shiver*

where's snoopys?

Chris James

Über Member
dan_bo said:
the isle of skye was a pub near the farm at the top that got taken down years ago. It is my favourite climb though- like you say when you come ovbert the summit from hudds side and it opens up in front of you.......*shiver*

where's snoopys?

The Isle of Skye used to be a pub on the Holmfirth - Greenfield Road. If we are talking the same road then as you get over the summit you get a great view of Chew Valley crags, Dovestones reservoir and Ashton, then Manchester in the distance and the Cheshire plain ahead of you.

I like climbing it the opposite way as there is a massive downhill, but all at an easy not scary angle, into Holmfirth.

longers

Legendary Member
dan_bo said:

where's snoopys?

Thanks Dan Bo and Chris.

Snoopys is or was the name of the butty van up there.

Chris James

Über Member
longers said:
Thanks Dan Bo and Chris.

Snoopys is or was the name of the butty van up there.

According to the map in Mark Richard's High Peaks walking book, the Isle of Skye used to be around where the van layby now is.

Top Bottom